Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Jelly Bean 4.1.1, VW Premium WORKS

Discussions about rSAP and general Bluetooth compatibility of the Volkswagen/Skoda Premium
spi483

Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Jelly Bean 4.1.1, VW Premium WORKS

Post by spi483 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Sorry for the long post but wanted to share my experience...

I've got a rooted Samsung Galasy Nexus with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and a new VW Passat with the Premium car handsfree.

The rSAP app works great. The Galaxy Nexus connects every time automatically to the car kit.

The phone book synchronization works with the Bluetooth handsfree profile but didn't with rSAP. The automatic installation of Bluetooth.apk as stated here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=221 didn't work - the Bluetooth.apk in /system/app was still the one from stock. After manually copying the Bluetooth.apk into the /system/app folder now the address book synchronization works with rSAP as well. It works even better than with the stock Bluetooth.apk as the contacts now can be sorted in the car kit by family name.

Unfortunately I can't copy SMS received by tha car kit back to the phone. That doesn't work so far. Has anybody any idea?

I can additionally connect the phone to the car kit as an audio player via A2DP. Controlloing the phone from the car kit doesn't work as stock Android dosen't support the AVRCP profile.

I was able to additionally set up a data connection to the car kit through Bluetooth DUN with the BlueVPN app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.bluexvpn) - no need to compile a module. Automatic mail synchronization does not work with BlueVPN but manual mail synchronziation does. Unfortunately the Bluetooth DUN connection is not established automatically as soon the rSAP connection is established but has to be triggered manually. A script might help one day...

To sum it up:
+ rSAP connection works, phone reconnects automatically
+ address book synch works with Bluetooth.apk (but automatic installation with PBAPInstall.apk does not)
+ A2DP works
+ Bluetooth DUN works with BlueVPN (manual mail synch works, connection has to be triggered manually)

- copy SMS to phone doesn't work
- AVRCP doesn't work

Just some thoughts and questions:

1) PBAP and A2DP are already provided by Android. Why the stock PBAP can't be used while connected via rSAP? An A2DP connection also can be set up in addition to rSAP. Isn't that the case for PBAP as well? Or is PBAP some part of the handsfree HFP/HSP whatever protocol?

2) Android doesn't detect a Bluetooth DUN connection as an Internet connection. Automatic synchronization then gets deactivated. Is there a way to tell Android that it has Internet connectivity while connected via Bluetooth DUN to enable automatic synchronization and Internet connectivity for all apps?

3) Has anybody figured out how to copy a SMS from the car kit back to the phone?

4) As Android doesn't detect a Bluetooth DUN dialup connection as a valid Internet connection I thought it might be easier to use a Bluetooth DUN/Wifi router instead. Let the router connect via Bluetooth DUN through the car kit to the Internet and host a Wifi netwotk in the car all mobile devices might connect to... Unfortunately I couldn't find any Bluetooth/Wifi router but will try a Raspberry Pi to set that up instead.

Sebastian

admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Jelly Bean 4.1.1, VW Premium WORKS

Post by admin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. PBAP causes problems because the stock Android implementation ignores the 'filter' parameter that specifies the fields to be transferred and the VW Premium trips over some fields (e.g. mail addresses with 'home', 'work' attribute). See viewtopic.php?f=33&t=488

There are several ways to transfer contacts. One is to use AT commands using the Handsfree profile. The VW Premium could use that as well when rSAP is used, but for any reason does not. E.g. the Audi SAP adapter does use Handsfree for contacts combined with rSAP when it cannot find the IrMC profile. The Bluetooth protocols are completely independent from each other. It's only what the car phone maker chose to use.

2. Sadly I don't know an answer to that question. I guess this is hard-coded somewhere in the Android system. The Linux base should not care which connection is active. Probably someone else can explain...?

3. The problem is that rSAP stores the SMSs on the SIM card, but Android stores them in a database in flash memory. You can copy the messages from SIM to database in the message app but it is tedious to do that all the time. I'm working on a plugin to store the rSAP SMS directly in the database. It is basically working but not so well to publish it. I'm quite confident to finish it soon.

4. Good idea! Of course it would be easier to solve question 2, but an additional gadget is by far cooler :ugeek:

spi483

Post by spi483 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for answering my questions.

I would offer to test the SMS plugin immediately.

Still couldn't find a Bluetooth/Wifi router but try to get my hand on a Raspberry Pi tomorrow to see how it goes...

spi483

Post by spi483 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:55 am

Today morning I couldn't sync my phone book anymore. Deleting the device pairing and re-pairing phone and car kit didn't solve the issue. Tried to make Bluetooth visible on the phone both in the Android default Bluetooth settings menu and the rSAP app. No difference. Didn't get phone book sync work again.

While using handsfree profile instead of rSAP phone book sync did work.

Any ideas how to solve that issue? Create log files for troubleshooting?

Sebastian

spi483

Post by spi483 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Checked out a Raspberry Pi today. Supports both Bluetooth and Wifi so it should work as a Bluetooth DUN/Wifi router...

spi483

Post by spi483 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 am

spi483 wrote:Today morning I couldn't sync my phone book anymore. Deleting the device pairing and re-pairing phone and car kit didn't solve the issue. Tried to make Bluetooth visible on the phone both in the Android default Bluetooth settings menu and the rSAP app. No difference. Didn't get phone book sync work again.
I got it working again yesterday in the evening but had to delete the pairing both on the car kit and the Nexus and re-pair both devices several times. Even tried to make Bluetooth on the Nexus visible from stock Android Bluetooth settings menu and the rSAP app. Finally I was able to sync the phone book again while being connected over rSAP.

Today in the mornig syncing the phone book didn't work again so it seems like the phone or the car kit forget the right PBAP pairing somehow.

Does anybody have an idea how to troubleshoot that further? I've got a log file but couldn't see there anything PBAP related.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Only phonebook transfer did not work? Or rSAP? Perhaps you have the same problem I had with my GN: Bluetooth.apk did not start automatically. After switching off/on Bluetooth everything is fine. A new clean JB installation did not have that problem. Since I could not yet find out how Bluetooth.apk is started at all, I could not yet find a fix for that.

spi483

Post by spi483 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm

admin wrote:Only phonebook transfer did not work? Or rSAP? Perhaps you have the same problem I had with my GN: Bluetooth.apk did not start automatically. After switching off/on Bluetooth everything is fine.
Only phonebook transfer doesn't work. RSAP works just fine. Did you switch off/on Bluetooth on the phone or the car kit?

What do you mean by "Bluetooth.apk did not start automatically"? Isn't that the app displaying the little Bluetooth icon in the information bar on top?

Sebastian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Bluetooth.apk is the system app that implements PBAP and other OBEX stuff. It has no user interface for PBAP except the request for phonebook access. Did you grant access?

I switched off/on Bluetooth on the phone to start Bluetooth.apk.

spi483

Post by spi483 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 am

admin wrote:Bluetooth.apk is the system app that implements PBAP and other OBEX stuff. It has no user interface for PBAP except the request for phonebook access. Did you grant access?

I switched off/on Bluetooth on the phone to start Bluetooth.apk.
Got it. Yes I granted access to the phone book (although that didn't pop up every time I re-paired the devices). Switching off/on Bluetooth on the phone did help as well.

Something weird happend today. I returned to my car several times and every time my phone not only connected automatically to the car kit but also synced the phone book without me having to switch off/on Bluetooth again and again.

What was different today than the other day when it didn't work? The only thing I can remember is that the other day when it didn't work my phone was connected to another Bluetooth headset during the day.

Could that somehow interfere with the Bluetooth.apk and let it crash or something?
admin wrote:I switched off/on Bluetooth on the phone to start Bluetooth.apk.
Isn't the Bluetooth.apk up and running all the time Bluetooth is enabled on the phone?
If yes, does it crash somehow and therefore phone book sync doesn't work anymore? Then I could try to monitor the task and restart it as soon as it crashes. By why then rSAP still works?

Return to “VW/Skoda Premium”