The opposite of rSAP

Place feature requests here
cybermaus

The opposite of rSAP

Post by cybermaus » Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 am

Hello

is it possible (or rather, would it be possible to make it possible) to use one android to connect to another, thus using one as the handsfree and another as the phone.

Or to put it differently: One Android is in my pocket with a SIM, and another tabled is build into the car, is connected to speakers and gooseneck microphone, but has no SIM. So I want to use its build in phone software to make/receive calls using the other phone's SIM.

Currently I do this with a Windows Mobile tablet, build into my car. It also functions as Navigator of course. It has bluetooth handsfree software and connects to my phone with a handsfree profile when I get into my car. This 'client' software does not seem to exist on Android.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: The opposite of rSAP

Post by admin » Tue May 27, 2014 4:08 pm

It's practically impossible to use an Android device as a SIM access client. The SIM access for the Android phone functionality is buried deep inside the radio/baseband software, which is a multi-megabyte closed source binary.

I don't know how complicated it will be to implement a Handsfree client (or server? well the opposite of what's existing...) on an Android tablet. Afaik the Android Bluetooth API only supports RFCOMM and Handsfree may require access to lower layers, so it may be necessary to dig deep into the firmware. If you use CyanogenMod you will have all the necessary sources, but it will be quite some work!

cybermaus

Post by cybermaus » Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I use (have done for years now, one of the pioneers) Mediatek Dual Sim.

Mediatek still releases no kernel sources which means still no Cyanogen. I have tweaked smali during a few occasions, but if you are right and it means going so deep, it is near impossible without proper sources (and beyond my time invest level even with sources)

So no handsfee (client? Server?) for Android until Google deems it needed then....
Any other suggestions?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Maybe I'm wrong about the complexity of implementing the Handsfree profile, because I don't know very well how it works at all, especially the audio transfer. But I have no other idea how to solve your problem. Maybe there is an M.I.C device available for your car? This is an Android based Naviceiver which also supports Handsfree...

Return to “Feature Requests”