rSAP GPRS modem support

Place feature requests here
eddie_f

Re: rSAP GPRS modem support

Post by eddie_f » Fri May 13, 2011 3:25 pm

I could think of people having more than one car, for example one from the company and one private car, both with rSAP.
Or the Porsche guys who often have a "normal" car for everyday use.

As a start you could implement the feature and see if there are any requests for multiple connections. I personally don't have two cars, so for me it would be fine. I can't wait to test it on the HTC Broadcom crap, I hope it'll work. Else it will be Sense versus Internet over rSAP. Tough decision ;)

-EDIT:

Now that I have a working Terminal Emulator, I found that a few essential tools are missing from the HTC/Broadcom bluez implementation. BUT: the source code for the HTC BlueZ can be downloaded on their developer website: http://dl4.htc.com/RomCode/Source_and_B ... _blueZ.zip
This obviously is for the DZ and I'm not a developer, but all the missing tools (hcitool,rfcomm and maybe others, sdptool is present in the ROM) are in the zip files as source code. This could help making the stuff work on HTC/Sense based ROMs.
- - - -
Thanks for the DUN plugin, you are the best!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 am

In the meantime I found the 'chat' sources compiled a binary for Android, but did not succeed to connect from my Desire to my Galaxy S. Connection fails with an error message like "does not support tethering". Has someone perhaps connected his Linux box to a Galaxy S and can send me the chat scripts?

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

This article may help http://www.spiration.co.uk/post/1307/Ub ... connection

It contains a chat script you could try.
- - - -

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm

It's been a while, now I continued to work on that feature. The bad news is: you'll need a kernel modification for the modem to work :cry:
See also http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/3396 ... ppp-async/.

Since there are so many kernels out there it will be impossible to create compatible kernel modules for all. Does anyone have an idea how this may be handled?

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Seems a bit like a bad situation, but I would let the ROM maintainers (for custom ROMs) handle the situation. I think most of them would make the needed changes to their kernels, if the users are requesting it and there is a real use case for the functionality.

The tricky things is, that you need a working kernel to start with :|
- - - -

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 pm

It works, but not very well... It is very, very sloooow. I don't know the reason, perhaps it is my provider, because I don't have a "3G" symbol in the car display?
Bild1.jpg
Bild1.jpg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
I managed to get the kernel module working by patching the "vermagic" data. The problem is that I have no idea on which kernels this file will run. If it does not run you'll probably get a kernel panic :?

So there is still some work to do!

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 am

Wow this is pretty good news!

With my Windows Mobile device, the internet connection in my car was also pretty slow, but that is because the car kit does not use edge, but only gprs. Some newer car kits may use 3G, but only the slow version, not HSDPA.
It should be enough for traffic warnings when using Navigon and 3G should be good enough for Google Maps too.
- - - -

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 am

... and a small update: it looks like I will need a million kernel modules :cry:

I tried the SGS 1 module on the Galaxy Nexus and it did not work, as I expected. I will manage to create and test the kernel modules for the phones I have, but what about those hundreds of phones, versions and special kernels with specific mods that are out there? Every CyanogenMod nightly build has a different "uname -r"!

My current plan is that the user will be responsible to install a compatible kernel module for his kernel. I'll try to build as much modules as possible, e.g. for all released Nexus/AOSP and all (?) rSAP compatible CyanogenMod 7.1 kernels, and offer them for download, probably automatically from within the app. If someone manages to build and test his own module he may send it to me and I will add it to the list.

So I'm not sure if I can offer an app with such preconditions on the Android Market... There will be thousands of users not reading the description and complaining that it doesn't work. So I guess the apk will only be available on my website. Perhaps I should offer all rSAP plugins only for download from my website?

pinetree

Post by pinetree » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 pm

well I think 99% of the users are not able to root their phone to get your "normal" rsap app running - so for the gals and guys who take the steep road the fiddel around in the guts on android will also be able and willing to sideload the apk from your site.

I think I read somewhere that RNS pre 2010 from VW are only capable of GPRS and the UMTS support was only added on the lastest releases. If you need some help in testing, debugging - let me know, I got a 2011 RNS here.

see here: (searching vor RNS UMTS GPRS -GPS in google brings up some info)
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/neue-uhv ... 82784.html

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 pm

So just a few things that have come to my mind:

1.) you mentioned earlier, that you need hcitool, sdptool and rfcomm. Do you still need them with the new approach?
2.) could you provide a website with the needed steps to compile a kernel module for the kernel of choice? So everyone, who wants to try ROM XYZ can at least try to get it working by himself/herself. Afterall you already know what to do, you just can't compile kernel modules for everyone.
3.) you could make your life easier by just providing kernel modules for stable versions of cyanogenmod and let the users compile the modules for unstable oder nightly builds (as in no. 2)

Just a few things that I had in mind ;)
- - - -

Return to “Feature Requests”