rSAP GPRS modem support

Place feature requests here
admin
Site Admin

Re: rSAP GPRS modem support

Post by admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:24 pm

1. hcitool and sdptool are not necessary, rfcomm is. This is always (?) present on CyanogenMod builds but not on Nexus AOSP builds. But it should be no big problem for those. What I need to check are stock HTC ROMs.
2.+3. Yes, I already had similar ideas. I'll have to do more tests regarding compatibility of kernel modules.

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 pm

I found the sources for rfcomm for HTC builds. They can be downloaded as part of the HTC bluez implementation for the Desire Z on the HTCdev website. So I think rfcomm is not really a problem for HTC ROMs. And I think most people with a rooted phone sooner or later try to overclock their phones, at least when they have such a crippled kernel with only 800 MHz on their phone like on the Desire Z. Damn it HTC, this phone is easily capable to do 1.2 GHz without overheating and even more...
- - - -
Thanks for the DUN plugin, you are the best!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Short update:

I have the modem access running on my Galaxy Nexus. With my regular provider it is quite fast, map updates seem to work the same speed as with normal mobile network. It starts automatically when I connect the phone to the car and disconnects when done. I even get the consumed transfer volume. Perhaps I manage to add the data to the "official" mobile network usage database ;)

What does not work: small things, like automatically loading the kernel module, automatic reconnect when connection is interrupted for any reason, retry when first connection does not succeed. I'll have to look up how this all was handled in the good ol' modem days (anyone remember the Zyxel U-1496 ?)

I did not yet try with a stock HTC ROM. I'll have to build a kernel from the HTC sources and check what tools are missing. The statement regarding sdptool above was not really correct. It is needed for finding the channel id of the modem. Perhaps the channel id is constant for all VWs so I'll add an option to enter it manually.

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi,

great, you have a working modem connection with your Nexus? Anything new about this topic?

You are making a top job. Thx,
Ingo

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Still have it running on my Galaxy Nexus. It works quite stable so I think I could release it. I only have to add a download possibility for the kernel modules I have so far. Phone support will be very limited at the start!

I tried to get it running on my Desire with HTC ROM and it didn't look good. The 'rfcomm' tool did not work as expected.

luke7110

Post by luke7110 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm

hi! I'm very interested in this feature too! Do you think it will work with sgs2?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Finally released what I have in use for quite some time with my Galaxy Nexus:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=392

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Sat May 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi,

thank's a lot. But your download link to the 'ppp-async.ko' for the nexus seems to be dead.

Ingo

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Ok, fixed.

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Sun May 20, 2012 10:47 am

Hi,

is the path '/system/lib/modules' for thr ppp_async.ko correct? At my nexus, this path does not exists.

Ingo

Return to “Feature Requests”