rSAP GPRS modem support

Place feature requests here
admin
Site Admin

Re: rSAP GPRS modem support

Post by admin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:26 am

I sincerely hope this does not happen, because I also sometimes have a French provider...

I use data from the APN list in the PPP connect scripts. Does anyone know if this is sufficient to prevent data roaming?

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

admin wrote:.... Does anyone know if this is sufficient to prevent data roaming?
Hi,
seems not to be. I've been charged by a dutch provider :(

Ingo

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:19 am

Oh... The problem is, that the car phone is a different device. I could check the roaming state of the phone before the rSAP connection is made, but this is only roughly the situation that the car phone sees with it's own antenna, etc. In my opinion it should be possible to disable data roaming somewhere in the settings of the car!

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Don't know if its possible to check if the internet IP-adres changes?
Don't know if it changes when you start roaming...

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,

(un)fortunately, I didn't had any DUN-crashes anymore. So, no logfile for that. But now, after updating to 'Jelly Bean', there is a new problem. The car is trying to connect with the phone, you see for quite a second the DUN-symbol at the car's dashboard and then the message 'No bluetooth connecting available'. At the DUN module, the status is at error.
Audio, rSap and Phonebook are working fine. If've attached the log...

Ingo

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am

Don't post log files here. They may contain private data like SMS, SIM phonebook etc. I was not the first who downloaded the file...

The log was filtered with "rsap" so it did not show DUN logs, but I'm quite sure that the kernel module does not work any longer with JB. I did not yet find the time to build a new one, I'm currently struggling with the phone book.

tiefimwesten

Post by tiefimwesten » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Ok, I will not post logs here again.
I guess the same like you. It will be the module, not compatible with JB.
Much success with the phone book...

Thx, Ingo

chinow12

Post by chinow12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 am

Hi,

Have you a [how to] to generate the ppp_async.ko?

Or, If anyone can built it for me? :oops:

I have a Desire Z (Vision) with ICS Andromadus Audacity 5 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1349864)

Thnaks for your help and your job!

All your job in Rsap is awesome! all works great, and easy to use!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am

Lately I did not find much time to care about the DUN modem stuff (you might have noticed...) I currently do not use it on my phone, although I miss it :roll:

To build your own kernel module you have to build a matching kernel for your phone. For a stock ROM the kernel sources must be available at a phone manufacturer site somewhere. For custom ROMs you have to find out where to get the source. You will need a Linux system (Mac?) to build the kernel.

Check the Android Open Source pages (http://source.android.com/source/index.html) for information how to set up the build machine. I always use a complete Android source tree for the build tools. I don't know if you can do with less.

Usually you must initialize the kernel build configuration somehow. Custom ROMs usually have a /proc/config.gz containing the configuration. After initialization you have to switch on the ppp_async module with 'make menuconfig' (find more details in the web). At last you build the kernel with 'make' (probably with additional options). Your shiny new kernel module should exist somewhere in the Linux tree.

For CyanogenMod there is a description here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Buildi ... rom_source. For other kernels it will work slightly different.

The problem often is that the kernel modules contain checksums or other information to check the compatibility of the module with the kernel. If there is something wrong, 'insmod' will fail on the phone. Sometimes you can patch the kernel module (http://linux.die.net/lkmpg/x380.html), sometimes not. Then you probably used the wrong kernel sources, or the wrong build tools, or whatever. This is where I usually quit...

I hope that helps. It's not easy, but I don't think you can break anything. The worst that may happen is that your phone crashes when you 'insmod' your kernel module. After a reboot it should work like before.

chinow12

Post by chinow12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks for your answer!

I tried to find the kernel file to build the ppp_async.ko for my desire Z, but, for this moment, i don't find it... I'm a noob in kernel building module...

I give you more news if I success to do that

Return to “Feature Requests”