tip: auto-enabling Bluetooth as you start the car

Discussions about rSAP, about this board and whatever is related.
bahnstormer

tip: auto-enabling Bluetooth as you start the car

Post by bahnstormer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:48 pm

I assume most of us are using rSAP because our cars support things like Google traffic updates and online services, but if you're like me, you'd prefer to leave Bluetooth off the rest of the time to conserve battery, but would prefer if you didn't have to setup an NFC tag / manually switch back on each time you get in the car.

Method:
Setup a car WiFi hotspot and connect your phone via WiFi, if you haven't already!
Download and setup Tasker (or any other automation software) to enable bluetooth if a it detects your car WiFi network.
Switch off Bluetooth.
When you start your car, the car WiFi will be detected, Bluetooth auto-enabled and then the car will take your phone offline and take over via RSAP.
Your phone will then connect to the WiFi and be online for Whatsapp messages, etc.

Your call if you want to setup the reverse (switch off Bluetooth if WiFi not detected for X minutes), but I haven't got around to that yet as I'm still pretty new to Tasker.
BahnStormer
Car: Audi A6 TFSI @ 375bhp, MY12, MMI touch, BT High.
Primary: LG G5 H850 stock MM6.0.1.
Projects: SGS2(GT-i9100 on CM13) + lots of Nexus7's with various builds.
eBay soon: SGS5 Prime (SM-906K), SGS4 (GTi9505), SGS4 Active (GT-i9525).

admin
Site Admin

Re: tip: auto-enabling Bluetooth as you start the car

Post by admin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 am

I'm still quite sure that Bluetooth does not consume much power in standby (if your firmware is working correctly...). An average Android phone runs for roughly a week when it is lying on a table with mobile network, WiFi and Bluetooth switched on.

Return to “rSAP General”