Mercedes Audio 50 - Samsung S4 Mini - RSAP?

Discussions about rSAP and general Bluetooth compatibility of the Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth SAP telephone module
moles_de

Mercedes Audio 50 - Samsung S4 Mini - RSAP?

Post by moles_de » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi to all users!
Has anyone - any - idea?
Please see below.

Old environment
Mercedes S211 (from 2007) with Audio 50
Nokia E66 with Bluetooth-Cradle in center console
No problem using the Mercedes Phone-Connection
No problem using SIM-Card-Access

New environment
All above but new smartphone Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini 9195 (android 4.2.2)
(Which should have RSAP integrated)
What´s working?
Can connect via Bluetooth with cradle (this for the Nokia E66)

What´s not working?
Cannot communicate with hands-free equipment
cannot pick up incoming phone calls
cannot establish outgoing phone calls
cannot use SIM-CARD-Access

What´s wanted?
Use Galaxy S4 Mini with hands-free equipment (via Bluetooth from E66 cradle)
SIM-Card-Access is NOT required

Question
Any idea why it doesn´t or couldn’t work?
Any idea how it could work?

What´s not the question?
I can use two SIM-Cards and redirect calls from Samsung to the E66
But this is not what I want for future use

thx moles_de

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mercedes Audio 50 - Samsung S4 Mini - RSAP?

Post by admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:57 pm

I don't fully understand your configuration. Is the Bluetooth cradle a SAP adapter (V2, V3, ...)? Or is it a special adapter for the Nokia? Did the Nokia show "SIM access" while a connection was active? How do you pair the S4 Mini: do you use the Audio 50 knobs or are there knobs on the cradle to do the Bluetooth pairing?

As far as I know the S4 should support rSAP, but I did not yet see it myself. Some report that it does not work, sadly it's not easy to find out why it fails. The only way to find out is to create a HCI log, but this needs root (at least before 4.4). I still think that my app will not help if the Samsung built-in software won't work, but I may be wrong.

Another possibility is that it is no rSAP problem but a problem with the Handsfree profile. There is not much you can do then, except maybe flash CyanogenMod.

moles_de

Post by moles_de » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Thank´s for your reply!

Hardware is a Mercedes UHI Nokia E66 cradle (A2048204451). It can charge the phone an connects to car antenna. And it provides support for Bluetooth-communication.

FOR SAMSUNG: I have to activate bluetooth for my S4 Mini. First time I had to pair with this cradle by entering 62872 at the phone (standard-number für this cradle). The connection with cradle is stored in my S4 Mini.

This weekend I tested again:

Pairing works. Phone tells me that pairing is OK. BUT (if I open the menue behind this pairing) a software-switch will not store my setting on S4 Mini at following selection "USE FOR PHONE AUDIO".

Is this rsap or Handsfree Profile? I dont know. But there seems to be the problem.

When no other idea occurs - so (maybe) I will follow the other choice.

If I can find another way (without flashing) - I will post it here.

regards moles_de

moles_de

Post by moles_de » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Forgotten:

Yes the old Nokia (with the E66) Shows SIM-Access. Samsung doe not (see above)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 pm

The cradle you have only supports the Nokia E66, it does not have any Bluetooth functionality as far as I could find out. I guess it will not make a difference when you simply take it out.

So I guess you are connecting to something that's built into the car. I don't know much about Mercedes, but this is definitely not an rSAP capable device, so you should have a Handsfree connection. I don't understand why the Nokia showed "SIM Access".

I'd simply try the Audio 50 user interface to pair and operate the phone. The car manual should help.

If you do want rSAP, search for the Mercedes SAP module. It is a replacement for the Nokia cradle.

Gagome

Post by Gagome » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 pm

As far as I know the E66 cradle supports Bluetooth Handsfree Profile only.
It is not rSAP compatible.
It may work only with a Nokia E66.
So, basically using BT Handsfree it may work with a Samsung S4 mini. But it is possible that it is not compatible.
A Nokia E66 supports rSAP out of the box. But rSAP is not used by this cradle.

moles_de

Post by moles_de » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Thank´s for those Informations!

Yes - I think your right. It seems to use Bluetooth HFP. I tried again and again. But S4-Mini will not be accepted by the cradlle via Bluetooth HFP. Seems to be incompatible.

Meanwhile I use it as following: Nokia E66 sits in cradle with Bluetooth ON(!). In Nokia E66 I have a cheap prepaid-card. Incoming calls (on my S4-Mini with another SIM-CARD) will be redirected via APP to the Nokia. So I can use this Option with the car-telephone-microphone/ spaekers. Outgoing calls can be done via the old Nokia E66 (prepaid).

Problem is if you call from Nokia and do not reach your conversation-partner - maybe he will call you back via the Nokia-prepaid-Number. But If you are not in your car anymore... and so on

So this will not be my option for long!

Two (and a half) problem-solvings are possible for me:

1. Get a SAP-connector for/ from Mercedes-Benz
2. Wait until a S4-Mini-cradle for/ from Mercedes-Benz will be available
2and a half :)) Get a new car ;))

Thanks to all who posted!
Stay tuned!

Gagome

Post by Gagome » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm

I guess your only valid options are 1. or 2.and half :)

I don't believe option 2. will ever be available. Given the fact that new phones are emerging on a weekly basis Mercedes will problably not invest in any new phone specific cradles. If they make a cradle the phone will already be old when the new cradle becomes available.

A SAP cradle will only work if the S4 mini does support rSAP either natively or with the rSAP app.
The only drawback of a SAP cradle is that it is expensive.
I have used all SAP cradles (V1 - V4) during the last 8 years.
The best so far were V3 and V4. V1 and V2 had several problems getting phone book data from a smartphone.

So, if you want to use this option I recommend getting a SAP V4 cradle.
But make sure S4 mini can use rSAP.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 pm

The S4 Mini does support rSAP without and with my app, but you have to test the combination of phone, SAP module and SIM card to make sure that it works! Without this proof I'd guess there is a 3% probability that it doesn't work. The V4 has more features (e.g. mobile data support for MB online) so there is a higher chance to run into problems.

lobomagcambiyo

Post by lobomagcambiyo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:44 am

Hello,

I have pretty much the same configuration, S211 from Dec 2011, Comand APS and E66 cadle. Most the times this works pretty fine except:
1. Sometimes the phone does not connect to the car. No procedure found to fix it.
2. If you leave the car within a radius at least 20m (not 10m) incoming or outgoing calls are not available on the phone but in the car only.
3. Surprisingly (but no prob) the keypad of the phone is active while the car is connected.

Starting from spring 2008 and according to MB cars have HFP only Bluetooth included. Before that you needed comfort telephony and a car kit even for HFP, later for SAP only. There are telephone modules and handsets which seem to be pretty universal and specific cradles, like mine for the E66. I never checked the E66 display myself but it must be SAP with (possibly) limited compatibility, e.g. a Nokia C7-00 from China does not connect, a Galaxy SII (4.1.2) also.

I am looking for a new phone like Samsung Galaxy S? mini, Sony Z3 compact and like to know what happened to moles_de and how he solved his problem.

Return to “Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth (SAP) telephone module”