It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 pm

rSAP for Android Forum

Support forum for Android rSAP App

Which driver to choose for the Desire S?

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the HTC Desire S

Which driver to choose for the Desire S?

Post by Vampyre » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi,

I recently got a Desire S and after a rather long talk to HTC about the RSAP and why they are not implementing it anymore in new handsets, I finally gave up, unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone and tried to install your test application. When installing the generic driver files the mobile connects and the car kit also recognizes this by showing "Connection in progress" but after a while fails? So I assume I should try the other drivers? Just out of curiosity ;-) : Where's the difference between the generic and the other driver files? (I am a professional in IT-Security so technical speak is welcome here;-)) What is the impact of exchanging libhtc_ril.so? Are there any drawbacks in regard to functionality over the original one?
Thanks for your answers in advance!
Best regards..

Re: Which driver to choose for the Desire S?

Post by Vampyre » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 am

As I was a bit too curious, I installed the drivers again - this time the native one and it works - almost flawlessly. But when ending the BT connection, the phone gets back to logging in into the network for voice but fails for data connections. The error displayed says there is no SIM card in the phone?!?

Post by admin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:51 am

My library simply forwards the functionality to the original, renamed library, so there should not be any change in behaviour. When rSAP mode is activated on a phone that does not support it initially, this is an operating mode that usually does not happen on the phone, so it may be that there is some change in the phone's state that would not happen if you didn't use rSAP.

The difference between the two libraries:

The "native" variant uses software left over from the HTC Windows Mobile phones that HTC probably forgot to remove. The SIM commands are directly forwarded to the SIM card. This works only for older phones. Rule of thumb is: multi-core CPU phones don't work anymore.

The "generic" variant is what the name suggests. With one small but important exception this may run on all Android phones. The SIM commands are partly handled by my software and it is not (yet?) as flexible as the native solution, e.g. it does not support 3G. I hope I can support more phones in the future, e.g. the Nexus 4.

I don't know why you cannot get data connection after an rSAP session. Does switching on/off airplane mode fix it? Then you may try my airplane mode plugin from somewhere in this forum.

Post by Vampyre » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 am

First of all, thanks for your detailed answer! I now see clearer ;-). I was just wondering because your library replacement is only 22.5k B of size whereas the backup copy your install script creates has 593.3kB.
For the data connection issues unfortunately it does not help to switch to airplane mode and back again (this only worked on my old HTC Touch Pro Windows Mobile 6.1 phone) but it has to be fully rebooted. As you might have guessed, this is very annoying and I want to be sure there is a solution to this beside of rebooting all the time before buying your otherwise fine app!
So any further ideas/suggestions?

Post by admin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 am

Sorry, I don't know what's causing this. Maybe it is a problem of the Desire S - remember rSAP is not officially supported, so it's not tested by HTC.

I'm not sure, but I remember that somebody had a similar problem and changed some APN setting to fix it. Should be somewhere in this forum...

Post by Vampyre » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am

Okay, I'll try to find that posting and see what she/he has done. So at least it seems as if it is not connected to the way the time limit in the trial is enforced - my first suspicion was that there is a somehow "hard cut-down" implemented which causes a mess up in the BT stack of the phone.

Post by Vampyre » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi again!
Just to complete this thread: I dared to buy your app despite not knowing if it was working correctly. When having installed the "real" thing the problem did not come up again and the data connection is just working fine after using BT RSAP.
So everything is okay by now!

Return to HTC Desire S