It works, but then it doesn't

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Quindor

It works, but then it doesn't

Post by Quindor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Ok, situation.

Car : Skoda SuperB (Jan-2009) with RNS-510 and Premium Carkit (rSAP only version)
Pone : Samsung Galaxy S II (9100) with cyanogenmod (build #59 I believe, newest)

It connects, it pairs and all seems fine. I'm able to make calls, I'm able to receive calls. All is fine.

But after a little bit, suddenly I have no signal on the carkit, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes even the carkit disconnects completely and the phone doesn't recognize it.

I've been having this problem for 2 weeks now and I seem to have found where the problem might be located. When the signal is suddenly lost on the carkit display and I unlock the phone, boom, instantly returns. I can repeat this action with success every time. So it has something to do with the idle cycle of the phone cutting the carkit off.

That got me thinking, so today on my drive to work (1,5 hours) I connected my charger. This prevents the phone from going into deep sleep mode (from what I understand of android) and result, no more disconnects the whole time it's connected to the charger. Disconnect the charger, wait a few minutes and the signal was gone again.

So.... how can we go and fix this? Somewhere the bluetooth stack or the rsap modules just seem to go to sleep, the car doesn't get it and can't keep the connection and even will cut off my calls in the middle of a conversation. Maybe it's only a little thing, because waking up the screen and unlocking it actually keeps the phone alive......

Hopefully you can help. All logs available if you wish.

admin
Site Admin

Re: It works, but then it doesn't

Post by admin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 am

I have an idea what may be the cause: I don't acquire a "wake lock" while an rSAP connection is active. So far this did not cause any (known?) problems, but perhaps power management improved and now the phone enters a different power saving mode.

I'll send you a test version to your private e-mail address in the next days so you can check if it fixes your problem.

Quindor

Post by Quindor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 pm

ah, sounds good! :D

Maybe it's because cyanogenmod is using 2.3.5 already? Battery time is very good. ;)

I'll await the test version and will let you know as soon as possible afterwards.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Did you receive the mail? I sent it to the address you entered when you registered.

BTW: how long does your SGS2 run on battery with normal usage?

Quindor

Post by Quindor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:12 pm

admin wrote:Did you receive the mail? I sent it to the address you entered when you registered.

BTW: how long does your SGS2 run on battery with normal usage?
Yes, I recieved the mail. I also mailed you back, did you not recieve that?

My SGS2 normally runs to about 60% in one day of usage (08:00 - 02:00). That is with an hour calling, mail accounts and some games and browsing maybe.

When not using it I can reach 3 days with ease on standby.

I'll track carefully if the new version uses more battery or not!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 am

My own test shows that power consumption significantly rises with the wake lock. I'll wait for your results, but it looks like this is no good solution.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Another user had the same problem and the wake lock solved it for him. So I'll create an update to the rSAP app with the option to activate a wake lock while SIM access is active.

Quindor

Post by Quindor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, but here are my results.

For me the wake lock also works but it does result in a higher power drain. But seemingly also when rSAP is not active, I'm still testing this. But seeing your deamon runs always, that might be correct.

I have currently switched back to the general version and use it with a charging cable in my car. Not an ideal solution, but it works for now and while we track this down? Or are you finding the wake lock to be a final solution.

Currently running the newest version of cyanogenmod and it still works fine. With the newest versions even the phonebook transfer works correctly and transfers all my google sync'ed accounts.

I still have problems with the phone not wanting to connect to the car either. The car searches for it, but is unable to find it. Making bluetooth visible on the phone mostly fixes this from what I have noticed. But right now it's a bit of a cumbersome procedure. Hook up power, make bluetooth visible, and then have the car reconnect.

Willing to help resolve the issue, have just been really busy lately. :(

But progress none the less! Very happy with phonebook sync! :D

Quindor

Post by Quindor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 pm

I think the problem is fixed! :D

From what I believe certain changes within CyanogenMod have fixed the wakelock problem.

Looking at the changelog I believe these changes signify the relevant changes :

- Enable debugging for BT_WAKE (android_device_samsung_galaxys2)
- Correctly handle GPIO_BT_WAKE on/off for low-power mode in bluetooth (android_device_samsung_galaxys2)
- Use custom bluedroid (android_device_samsung_galaxys2)
- bluedroid: Add option for a device-specific bluedroid implementation (android_system_bluetooth)
- BRCM 4330 firmware does not send back the extra 2 bytes. This may need to be generic if other chip firmware has been modified to do the same, but for now it is 4330 specific. (android_system_bluetooth)

These in chronological order (reading last to top) fixed a few bluetooth problems for me. Tethering with my Asus transformer is now fully functional for instance. There where a lot of problems with AD2P too from what I read. This is now also functional or at least partially functional.

And as such, especially the wake issues I was having, seem to be fixed now. I only have one day of experience up until now, but with 4,5 hours in car, 1,5 hours of calling, no drops, no disconnects. Multiple connects and disconnects during the day (starting and stopping the car) with the carkit (Getting lunch, getting gas) every time the carkit came online and the phone came online again! Phonebook transfer works, last called and received exchange seems to work (from phone to carkit and vice versa).

So right now, it seems to be fully functional! If any further problems pop-up, I'll let you know.

I would add a requirement : CyanogenMod # 86 minimum.

dobermann2611

Post by dobermann2611 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:07 am

:lol: Yes it works fine , as we know from SGS1,and the battery consumption is also improved. :mrgreen:

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S II I9100”