Galaxy S II I9100G with MB Car kit SAP V3

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Chistoph0603

Galaxy S II I9100G with MB Car kit SAP V3

Post by Chistoph0603 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

HI all,

since some days I have a Galaxy SII I9100G and I was able to connect it to my MB Car Kit with SAP V3.

Obviously it worked out of the box.
However, the car kit only reads 1 phonenumber of the stored ones in the phonebook of the phone, which is quite bad.

So, does someone have the same problem? or what can be done to have it work correctly?

Many thanks in advance for oyur help

Some details on my phone:
Model: GT-I9100G
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: I9100GXXKL4
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 dpi@DELL164 #2
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXLB1

admin
Site Admin

Re: Galaxy S II I9100G with MB Car kit SAP V3

Post by admin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 am

I'm suprised that it does transfer one entry...

The SAP V3 has a strange behaviour: it first tries to query all SIM (!) contacts using Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP). The default Android implementation returns an error (who wants to use SIM contacts...?). The SAP V3 does not like the error and aborts all further phonebook downloads, which usually leaves you with an empty phonebook in the car.

I don't have my I9100 here to check if it is possible to replace the standard PBAP implementation with my Bluetooth.apk from here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=221. I recently found out that on the I9300 the default PBAP is not in Bluetooth.apk, but in SecBluetooth.apk. I renamed/removed this file, added my modified Bluetooth.apk, rebooted and it worked fine! Perhaps this works on the I9100G? Anyway: to fix PBAP you need root!

Chistoph0603

Post by Chistoph0603 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks, for your quick reply.

Now I am surprised, too.

You say that SAP V3 is strage, since it should leave me with an empty Phonebook, while aborting PBAP. BUt I have contacts - but only with 1 number. And I have the Few SIM stored contacts also availabe in the Car Kit.

About using your Bluetooth.apk I was already thinking thinking about - but I am obviously too stupid to understand the procedure:-(( given here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=221 and I am not an Expert and I do not want to F***-up my phnoe in the first days:-)
- I do not know what is a AOSP based Android ROM - Do I have one?
- I really did not understand the instructions to root the phone which I found in your FAQ - or lets say I am not shure.
I am quite puzzled with regard to this recovery software issue.
Maybe you can give me some more hints?

Thanks
Christoph

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Sorry, I was wrong. The Samsung PBAP does implement the SIM phonebook, the Android Open Source (AOSP) does not.

But I'm puzzled again: my Galaxy S III transfers more than one number. I'll check with the Galaxy S II.

EDIT: Galaxy S II 2.3.6 also transfers more than one phone number per contact. Is it possible the SAP V3 does not forward all numbers?

Chistoph0603

Post by Chistoph0603 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Hmm....
Good question.

Following I know:
Before I had a Nokia E51 which also stores the contacts as objects with different phonenumbers, address details, etc under one contact entry. And with that I had then in the Car Kit all numbers as: Max/w, Max/h, Max/m.
Hence, I assume, that giving the numbers the right way to SAP V3 the whole works nicely.
If you say, that your S II transfers them all, I guess the problem is somewhere in the middle, eg. Phone sends all, V3 receive them, but cannot distinguish between the entries and simply only takes the 1st number whitout flag (m, w, h = mobile, work, home).
Question:
Does your SII have your app installed? As written before, I am using the native SAP impolemented out of the box.

One other thing I noticed:
Hooking my phone to KIES it shows me all contacts, with all numbers and entries in columns, while displaying the contacts as list. However, its says "number 1", "number 2", "number 3" as column titel and not "home", "work", "mobile" as displayed in the phone. When I change in KIES to display namecards, then I only get the 1st number - exactly what happens in the car kit - name and 1st number.

Therefore:
Could it be, that the contacts stored in the phone as simply stored with "wrong" flags or attribuites, so that V3 might receive them, but does not recognize them and therefore only views the first number without detail as w, h, m ?

Might it be possible that your modified Bluetooth.apk does solve the issue?
I am stil fighting how to root the thing........

BR
Christoph

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:24 pm

I never used Kies. I did not hear good things about it... :roll: I sync all contacts with my Google account.

And I don't like the Samsung contacts app. It always shows SIM contacts although I'm sure I switched them off, and it adds some contacts twice or even more often from sources like WhatsApp, etc. In my personal view it is a big mess. I never had such problems with the "pure Android" contacts apps of my Nexus phones. And I guess the contacts app has some influence over what gets transferred via Bluetooth PBAP.

But I can specify "home", "work" or "mobile" numbers with my Galaxy S III. I don't have 2.3.x permanently on my S II so I cannot verify, but I guess it is possible there, too. This data is definitely transferred via PBAP! So you might try to edit a contact on the phone and see what happens.

rSAP does not influence phonebook transfer at all, so it will not make any difference if you use my app or the Samsung built-in rSAP. I don't think my Bluetooth.apk will help you because the main problem with the SAP V3 is always the missing SIM phonebook, but the Samsung PBAP does not have this problem. The content of the "normal" phonebook data is very similar between Samsung PBAP and my Bluetooth.apk.

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S II I9100”