Success story Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean - VW RNS510

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Twincharger

Success story Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean - VW RNS510

Post by Twincharger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi,

first of all hats off to the developer for developing this extremely useful app! I wanted a smartphone for a long time but was reluctant to switch from my Nokia brick to Android because I knew about lacking rSAP support - until I found this.

So I have a 2011 VW Passat B7 (MJ2012) with RNS510 and Premium Phone Unit and Galaxys S2 I9100 (not the G version). I first tried rSAP app on Samsung stock 4.0.3 system and it connected in rSAP mode, but it would only transfer a fraction of the 230 contacts in my phone book. Because I wanted the latest Android system anyway here is what I did:
And it now works almost nothing short of perfect. rSAP connection is stable and all my contacts were transferred correctly to the car unit, even though the contacts (coming from Outlook) use private/work categorized email adresses, multiple postal adresses with line breaks, notes etc. I use my Google account on the phone and the gsyncit plugin for Outlook to manage my contacts, so KIES is out of the way here anyway.

That JB ROM is also very stable, I haven't noticed any glitch in about one week of using it now, I don't even get that yellow triangle when I boot the phone. I said rSAP is almost perfect above because of one little glitch that remains: whenever I turn Bluetooth off and on again in phone settings, it will only connect in hands free mode from that point on until I reboot the phone with Bluetooth on. Maybe this is something that could be investigated further, let me know whether I could assist by sending some logs etc... Again big thanks and keep up the good work!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Success story Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean - VW RNS510

Post by admin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 am

I guess this may be a problem of the ROM, although it is strange that Handsfree works... What does the rSAP status screen show after you switch off/on Bluetooth?

Twincharger

Post by Twincharger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am

Hi and thanks for the reply. This is after turning BT off.... Image

and after turning it on again:

Looks OK so far? However now since installing the DUN modem plugin I have the problem that I cannot update the phone book anymore (see also viewtopic.php?f=41&t=529). RNS510 gives "failed to update phone book" (Aktualisieren des Telefonbuchs fehlgeschlagen) every time I try to update the phone book. However when it connects in hands free mode only because I fiddled with the BT state it successfully updates the phone book... Anyway I uninstalled the DUN system files, uninstalled the DUN plugin itself, but still cannot update phone book in RSAP mode... I'll try to pair the phone again, maybe this helps.

Twincharger

Post by Twincharger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 am

Hmm after some more reading around here it appears that the connection problem after flight mode or switching BT on/off is related to Android 4.1.1. So at least I'm not alone :) Can this be fixed?

About the phone book transfer failure: It seems the Bluetooth.apk is not started when I boot the phone. Only after turning BT off and on again I have a "Bluetooth Freigabe" process under running apps which inside has the Bluetooth PbapService running... Is there any way to re-enable the autostart because I am 100% sure phone book transfer worked prefectly fine in the beginning until I installed the DUN plugin...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm

I had that problem on my Galaxy Nexus. I must confess I could not yet find out how Bluetooth.apk is started normally, so I don't know what the cause of this problem is and how to fix it. Even if I uninstalled my Bluetooth.apk the original version did not start after a reboot. I started with a fresh installation and this worked, also with my Bluetooth.apk. If someone else has an idea...?

The Bluetooth state looks fine.

Twincharger

Post by Twincharger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 am

Right now I don't feel like wiping my phone... anyway I could live with having to toggle BT to get PBAp running after a reboot but then again it connects only in hands free mode... I have attached a HCI dump, maybe this helps? Also I cannot create main and radio logs, theses boxes always untick themselves when I close the rSAP app, creates only zero-byte files in /.rsap... See viewtopic.php?f=34&t=474#p2550 for another user with the same problem.
Attachments
20120820_113219.255_hci.zip
(279 Bytes) Downloaded 162 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am

I'll try to find out why Bluetooth.apk is no longer started and what may be happening with rSAP when you switch off/on Bluetooth. Perhaps both problems are related.

Strange that the logs don't work for you. The HCI log does not contain much data. Perhaps you should know that the logging starts/stops when you leave the settings screen and not immediately when touching the button. And please send logs via mail - they may contain private data...

Twincharger

Post by Twincharger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Like I said main and radio log files do get created but always with zeor bytes size. Is there some system component missing that is needed to create logs maybe?

Anyway I have investigated this BT on/off problem a little more. Turns out that only the very next connection to the RNS510 after toggling BT (or flight mode) is in hands free mode. All subsequent connections are in premium mode again, even without rebooting the phone. Maybe this helps.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm

I think I found the reason for the problem with flight mode (see also viewtopic.php?f=34&t=535).

Twincharger

Post by Twincharger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm

That's great, thanks a lot! Now if you could only figure out why Bluetooth.apk does not start automatically anymore..

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S II I9100”