Jelly Bean 4.2 & Bluetooth

Discussions about PBAP
admin
Site Admin

Jelly Bean 4.2 & Bluetooth

Post by admin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am

Yesterday I finally updated my Android source to find out that Google silently replaced the BlueZ lib with Bluedroid by Broadcom! I guess they did it to avoid the GPL that comes with BlueZ, which makes sense to me. I don't know what this means in terms of overall quality. We will find out...

The user API was not changed, which is remarkable, but they took the chance to reorganize the Bluetooth.apk completely. It now seems to contain all supported Bluetooth profiles. I'll have to dig deeper into the sources to be sure.

This has some impact on my Bluetooth.apk replacement. Before Bluetooth.apk contained only PBAP and OBEX file transfer. Now there are a lot more profiles and I don't know if all manufacturers will use the AOSP Bluetooth.apk. I rather guess they'll extend it, like Samsung already does with their rSAP implementation. So replacing Bluetooth.apk will most probably be no option in the future.

I already started to create a separate app that replaces only PBAP, which works fine (and without root!) on all pre-4.2 versions. I'll publish that as a pay app (same price as IrMC app). I hope I can get that working on 4.2, but I need more insight about how the new Bluetooth stack works.

big-okieh

Re: Jelly Bean 4.2 & Bluetooth

Post by big-okieh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I was using your Bluetooth.apk replacement since some months. It worked very fine for me. Also the new PBAP App works very fine.
But I noticed one nice side-effect of the old .apk replacement: When I used the phone as a media player with my VW RNS510, I saw the MP3 title information in the car's display. Since I flashed 4.2.1 (and use the original 4.2.1 build-in Bluetooth.apk) these are sadly gone. :cry:
I suppose, since the new PBAP app workaround this is not in "your hands" anymore?! In any case: Thanks for your great work!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I didn't notice that there is something in Bluetooth.apk that makes mp3 tags appear in the car, and I must confess I don't know how this worked and why it doesn't work any longer. I simply took the sources from Google AOSP, made my fixes to the phonebook and compiled it. I guess you have some AOSP ROM (Galaxy Nexus,Nexus 4?) so I would get the same result if I tried to create my fixed version based on 4.2. I guess the function simply vanished when Google changed from BlueZ to Broadcom, but I may be wrong.

big-okieh

Post by big-okieh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes, it is very strange in fact. Currently I am on Jelly Time R28 (4.1.2) on the Desire S, but I never got the title info with any ROM I have tried (CM9, CM10, HTC-Sense based, or different AOSP) - except with your Bluetooth.apk. Isn't this something that should work in general? I mean, maybe I can post this as a bug to Google? I will try with another media receiver that should display the title info...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm

I don't even know which Bluetooth profile is responsible for sending title information :oops:

No idea if it is a bug or a missing feature.

Return to “Phone Book Access Protocol”