BMW E9x and Samsung Galaxy S3 - PBAP problem...

Discussions about PBAP
Bamsefar

BMW E9x and Samsung Galaxy S3 - PBAP problem...

Post by Bamsefar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

I seem to have been fighting this problem since, well since I got the Samsung Galaxy S3. My Sony Experia S works perfect, but not the Galaxy S3...

BMW uses, in my car, PBAP (I have an E92 from 2007/12, with nav and bluetooth and well everything incl voice control). Somehow it just don't seem to work. When I pair the S3 it goes as expected including the question about transfer of phonebook. And the phonebook get's transfered. However when I reconnect again, after a short stop or something, the phonebook is gone in the car (well I have ONE contact left, and I can't figure out why that one is stil there). And from this point I can't use the phonebook (since it is empty) and I get no name matching when someone calls me - I just see the phone number. This is VERY VERY frustrating !!! Sony fixes this, HTC fixes this, but Samsung can't get there it to work ? I complained multiple times and NOTHING.

Any ideas ?

My phone is on the latest official version, 4.1.2, and it is NOT rooted (yet?). I also have the latest software in my car - so I either have to drop my Samsung or figure out some other solution to get it working...

admin
Site Admin

Re: BMW E9x and Samsung Galaxy S3 - PBAP problem...

Post by admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Did you try with the 4.0.x version? It seems that something was broken in 4.1.x although I don't know what.

Did you try my new phonebook app?

Bamsefar

Post by Bamsefar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I have tried all versions of the Samsung firmware for the Galaxy S3, incl 4.0.x - no one works perfect.

Your new phonebook ap ? not the bluetooth.apk PBAP version ? Or am I missing something here ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:17 pm

No, a new non-root app: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=555.
But I'm not 100% sure that it will help you, because I still think the S III firmwares work quite well.

If your phone is rooted you may first create a HCI log so I can check what may go wrong. It's a bit complicated to do: install rSAP installer app from Google Store, run it and install hcidump only. Then install HCI logger app from Google Store.

Bamsefar

Post by Bamsefar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:40 pm

I have not rooted my S3 - yet. Thinking about it though...

What I do not understand is WHY it works when the Bluetooth in the S3 is freshly turned on, then the phinebook is there. Then if bluetooth still is on in the S3, and I go out of the car and locks the doors, then returns say 15 minutes later, and boom just one contact is available. Why this contact and no others ?

As mentioned before my HTC and Sony works perfectly - it is just this Samsung Galaxy S3 that does NOT work.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 pm

If you turn off/on Bluetooth it works? Do you get a message that Bluetooth.apk (or similar) crashed? I remember that the system update for the S II caused problems with the phonebook until you wiped all user data.

Corin847

Post by Corin847 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

I have a 2011 BMW with nav. Didn't get the Samsung GS3 until just before Christmas and I'm fairly certainly that it came with 4.1.? The phones have worked . The GS3 had also supported reading text messages, which was not supported with my old phone new and more functionality, :-) .

It send the same phone is having PBab problems in my 2013 TL. Only getting 6 contacts :-(

Don't know if it is the version difference or not but may want to look at 4.1.1 (?) I believe there is also a 4.2 rev available as well.

The BMW should work... Now anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am

What is "TL"?

Return to “Phone Book Access Protocol”