Skype causes phonebook problems

Discussions about PBAP
emadk

Skype causes phonebook problems

Post by emadk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 am

I have a VW RDS510. My Samsung Galaxy S running Gingerbread worked fine. My S3 running ICS worked fine.

I got a problem when I upgraded the S3 to Jelly Bean (4.1.1). The phone book would start loading and alway crash at 350 entries. Restoring phone to factory condition and reinstalling all apps did not solve the problem.

Fred's excellent post above got me thinking about the data itself. I exported the contact data to a .vcf file, copied the file to my PC and looked the entries using a simple text editor. I found many entries that made no sense. These I traced to Skype (v3) syncing its contact list with the phone book contacts. It appears the Skype entries were also being transferred to the car unit. Some Skype entries were very strange, some empty and others belonged to people/entities I have never heard of (cleaning Skype is another topic).

I un-installed Skype. Checked the phone book entries were clean of Skype entries and tried again. Voila! PBAP worked fine first time. No issues.

What i did not do, is keep Skype, tick the setting for do not sync and try to see if this also works. I may do that later.

I suggest checking if you have Skype or other applications syncing their contacts on the phone. Remove the sync or uninstall the app and see of this helps.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Skoda/Volkswagen/Audi RNS 5N0 035 730 C/D

Post by admin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the info! Did you have the Skype app with the previous Android versions? I.e. is it a problem of 4.1 or of Skype or only the combination?

emadk

Post by emadk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:07 pm

I had a previous version of Skype before (cannot remember which, but should have been the current version in August). I updated Skype when I went Android 4.1.1.

I did not notice any Skype entries in the phone contacts before. Not sure if this was because "sync to contacts" was not available or ticked then, or if the new version imported garbage contacts from somewhere in the net. Sorry about the lack of firm info, but as all worked fine previously, I had no reason to take an interest in Skype at the time. Please do not ask why I upgraded to 4.1.1 when ICS was working flawlessly.

lveen

Post by lveen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

I had exactly the same problem. I rooted my S3 when Android 4.0.4 was installed, to be able to connect the phone properly to the Columbus navi, using the RSAP for Android app. When I updated to 4.1.1. the first weeks I had not any problems, which the non rooted phone. Suddenly my phone book was gone on the Columbus and whatever I tried, nothing could get my phonebook back. The phone was constantly connecting and disconnecting when initializing the phone book.
It was really "driving" me crazy.

When I was reading this topic I suddenly remembered that I updated also my Skype app some weeks ago.
I immediately removed this app from my phone and connected it again to the Columbus. It's working perfectly again. Phone book was directly initialized and available on the Columbus.

Thank you very much for your post emadk! I just wan't to let others know that this issue occurs to others too....

emadk

Re: Skype causes phonebook problems

Post by emadk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:03 am

It seems the problem is not confined to Skype. I have removed Skype and ocassionally have the same issue with a crash while loading contacts.

It seems PBAP under Android 4.1.x does not like some of the characters I previously had in my phone book. I normally manage my contacts list in Outlook, synchronise to Gmail and the phone does the rest.

For example,
- I used to add an "x" then extension number after a phone number to contacts with an extension. This now seem to crash PBAP. I removed the x and it works.
- Later crashes were traced to a typo in a telephone number where I had a ":" .

I guess the problem with Skype is that it added some rubbish to the telephone list. This is not a Skype exclusive.

So, bottom line is that until Android restores a better parsing algorithm in PBAP, you need to manually (and regularly) clean your telephone list. I suggest exporting the list from Gmail in CSV format and checking it with Excel or similar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am

I checked invalid characters with my phonebook app and the VW Premium. The characters do get transferred, which is surely not correct. Perhaps I'll update my phonebook app to filter them out. The danger is always to filter out too much... E.g. 'A'-'D' are allowed, although I don't know what they mean.

The 2011 VW Premium gracefully ignores all invalid characters, so no problem for me. It would be interesting to find out which car kits/phones do have problems.

Perenor

Post by Perenor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 am

Hi,

I recently installed Jelly Bean on my Galaxy S2, since then the connection to my RNS-E in my Audi A3 is not working properly anymore. With the previous versions of Android I've never had any problems when connecting to the nav unit in my car. My contacts are stored in Exchange of the company I work for. I also synced contacts from Linkedin, Facebook and Skype.

The following problems occurred the last couple of weeks:
-at the beginning I could call contacts using the steering wheel and the information in the BIS (the display behind the steering wheel), however when trying to call from the navigation unit in the dashboard, it would hang up, only showing the message "trying to connect".
-the day before yesterday the connection between the Phone and the nav unit started to have connects and disconnects shortly after each other. Later (after not ticking the checkbox that I don't want to see this notice anymore) I noticed that each time I'm getting the confirmation message to allow the unit to download my contacts). Because of the reoccurring message I think the download of the contacts is not working properly anymore.

Luckily I found this post and deleted Skype from my S2 in the evening of the day before yesterday. Yesterday morning all of a sudden the Phone couldn't connect anymore and the information in the BIS display only showed a couple of special characters. At work I also deleted my Linkedin account, because I noticed that one of my contacts in Linkedin used stars in his name. When I rode back home in the afternoon I could connect to the nav unit, but it wouldn't download the contacts anymore.

Yesterday I also read the post "Skoda/Volkswagen/Audi RNS 5N0 035 730 C/D" in this forum. It mentions that you shouldn't use xml information in the note field of your contacts. But some of my contacts do contain this information - some of it from back when I was still using a HD2 (windows mobile 6.5) - containing the name "HTC" in the xml tags. They also contained some tags from different sources - tags like <sn> and within the innerxml "friendof:". I deleted most of that information in my contacts in Outlook. But when I synchronised the outlook account, the xml information wasn't gone on my Phone. Could this still be causing these problems? And how do I get rid of this XML information from the contacts in my Phone, if possible without deleting the exchange account from my phone.

This is a really annoying problem. Perhaps you have some extra tips for me.

Regards, Perenor.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I didn't think it can get worse with a Samsung update...

You may try my phonebook app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _rsap.irmc)

Perenor

Post by Perenor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Well, I deleted my Exchange account. I didn't feel like checking all my contacts on the Phone. And now my contacts seem to get loaded again. I can call them up from the BIS. And make a Phone call from the BIS. But trying to start a Phone call from the navigation unit still doesn't work. :evil:

I might get your app, but I'm really wondering whether it'll be a solution to not being able to make a Phone call from the navigation unit. As the phonebook is now being loaded (I can also call it up from the navigation unit, I just can't make any Phone calls from that nav unit).

In the A3 the bluetooth unit is a separate device b.t.w. Which is controlled from either the BIS and steering wheel, or the navigation unit. What I don't understand is why it works from the BIS and not from the navigation unit. As it should be using the same bluetooth connection. Don't you just love technology. *sighs*

I am really starting to hate Android. I also don't like some other changes they made (like not being able to add words to the user lexicon any more, or that the USB mass storage connection now has to be set up again by some User Interface actions - in ICS this worked automatically etc. etc.). And than I'm not even talking about all the memory issues you can get with Android because of the way it handles Multi tasking.

Before my S2 I had a HD2, like I mentioned in my previous post, and I'm really thinking on going back to the Microsoft platform.

But I'm rambling...

I need to do another google search if anybody else out there has the same problems I'm still having now from the navigation unit *sigh*.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:30 am

As the name suggests the phonebook app fixes only phonebook problems :-)

I don't know if a new Microsoft Windows Mobile phone is comparable to an old Windows CE device. Since the iPhone hit the market nobody seems to care about Bluetooth, and Microsoft currently is the biggest Apple copycat. Bluetooth was working great while the phones were developed in Europe (Nokia!). Now that the Americans took over things got bad (Nokia...).

Return to “Phone Book Access Protocol”