rsap sometimes don't start

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
admin
Site Admin

Re: rsap sometimes don't start

Post by admin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:42 pm

I found a "Low on memory" output in the log before the trouble starts. In the list it seems that Chrome is using >300MB of RAM. It looks like the system never recovers from that. I don't know how I can handle that :shock:

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm

so it's all the fault of chrome???

no, no, tonight I did not use chrome but rSAP is dead too.. :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

I must confess that I don't know whose fault it is. I can only say that I observered the "low on memory" condition most probably because of Chrome using 300MB and as a result (?) a lot of processes simply die. There is no log output saying that they are killed by the system, but I guess so, because there is no crash report. But usually killed services are automatically restarted by Android which doesn't seem to happen on your phone.

I don't know how I should handle the sudden unexpected death of the process. I could add a watchdog, but maybe it will be killed again soon after restart? A watchdog would also consume additional power, and if it doesn't run frequently enough it will not make things better.

Since you are the only one who seems to have this problem it must be something special on your phone. How much memory does Android report in the app info for Chrome? On my phone it's currently 88MB, while I don't know which memory is meant. Is there maybe some app (mis)using Chrome for something? Does it help to force close Chrome?

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm

admin wrote:I must confess that I don't know whose fault it is. I can only say that I observered the "low on memory" condition most probably because of Chrome using 300MB and as a result (?) a lot of processes simply die. There is no log output saying that they are killed by the system, but I guess so, because there is no crash report. But usually killed services are automatically restarted by Android which doesn't seem to happen on your phone.

I don't know how I should handle the sudden unexpected death of the process. I could add a watchdog, but maybe it will be killed again soon after restart? A watchdog would also consume additional power, and if it doesn't run frequently enough it will not make things better.

Since you are the only one who seems to have this problem it must be something special on your phone. How much memory does Android report in the app info for Chrome? On my phone it's currently 88MB, while I don't know which memory is meant. Is there maybe some app (mis)using Chrome for something? Does it help to force close Chrome?
The problem I have without installing other apps, new clean (full-wipe) install CM + ONLY rSAP installer + rSAP = same problem. NO CHROME. No more process active "IN USE" (only two googleplayservice and keyboard)

With standard installation, the other app active (ex. whatsapp, viber ...) the process sometimes is killed, but the service keeps them alive and then works! No problem with other apps with process/services always on.
Chrome 90,63MB

I think it is Android 4.4 kills the process which if it does not need memory..is a choice not really motivated.

You can not just tell rSAP to start the process when BT is activated? because the service is always active! then it's ok!

Hi

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 pm

also reconfirm that with the last CM (20140121 ->) rSAP does not work!!

Maybe it's better that I change rom...

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 pm

I installed new rom: OmniRom.

Same defect.. i don't know that this is only a problem of my GNexus!

it's evident that android 4.4 has a characteristic of killing process not in use. BUT restarting by "services" when needed.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-27-22-54-31.png
Screenshot_2014-01-27-22-54-31.png (222.16 KiB) Viewed 1838 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Currently I think it happens because you switch off Bluetooth and the service gets killed - for whatever reason and without a log output. Strange but possible. How long do you have to wait after reboot until rSAP shows 0 processes? Does it also happen when you keep Bluetooth switched on?

I'll check what happens when I globally register for Bluetooth on/off notification. Currently I notify only when the service is active to lower resource usage.

Still strange that noone else has these problems... Maybe all others keep Bluetooth simply switched on?

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:19 pm

When the bluetooth is on, the service never dies...
but if I turn off the bluetooth approximately after 30/60 minutes, the rSAP service dies

I think that most people don't ever turn off the bluetooth, :roll:

I turn it off to conserve the battery because usually I use my car only 2 hours a day

Hi

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:23 am

Unfortunately, I discovered that the process dies after a few hours also with the bluetooth turned on..

The icon in the status bar is present but the process is zero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 pm

I made tests, switched off Bluetooth and tried to start as many apps as possible to force memory shortage, waited for hours, the process simply doesn't die on my phone. The only explanation is that the app crashes, but there should be a log output if that happens. I never saw one in your logs. Maybe you manage to find one?

I give up. I don't know why this happens on your phone, sorry.

Return to “Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus”