Fix for 4.2 Service Discovery Problem

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
admin
Site Admin

Fix for 4.2 Service Discovery Problem

Post by admin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Update:
The module can now be installed by the rSAP installer app. For CyanogenMod 10.2 you don't need the patched file!

If you have a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2 the device is no longer discoverable by some/all car phones from Audi, Mercedes (SAP module) and Porsche. To fix this I added the proper rSAP service record to this patched version of bluetooth.default.so:
bluetooth.default.so.zip
bluetooth.default.so for Galaxy Nexus JB 4.2.1
md5: 18980fcd524538baead21a8aae3fbe65
(413.1 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
I tested this file with a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.1 build JOP40D and with a Galaxy S III running CM 10.1 daily build (Jan. 20).

Put this file in path /system/lib/hw on your phone. You need a root shell or a root capable file manager (like Root Explorer). Check that owner and file permissions are the same as the original file.
Be sure to backup the original file!
You will need it in case the patched file doesn't work or if you want to restore the original system state e.g. for an OTA update.

If your phone is already successfully paired with your car or you don't have an Audi, Mercedes SAP module or Porsche you don't need this! It will only make sure your phone is recognized as rSAP capable at a fresh Bluetooth pairing. As far as I understand you may revert the change after pairing is done.

I did not check if the patch works for other phones running Android 4.2 or CM 10.1, maybe it does.

I currently don't know if I can create an easier fix for the problem. It depends on what other manufacturers change in the bluetooth.default.so when they release their own 4.2 firmwares. Perhaps I'll try to propose the change to Google and/or CyanogenMod.

shakehouse

Re: Fix for 4.2 Service Discovery Problem

Post by shakehouse » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Thank you so much! I was up to downgrading to 4.1 right now :-)

htc1977

Post by htc1977 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 pm

admin wrote:Be sure to backup the original file!
You will need it in case the patched file doesn't work or if you want to restore the original system state e.g. for an OTA update.
I downloaded the file and put it in the right place. After a reboot my bluetooth doesn't come up anymore. :-(
I reverted to the original file again.
Tested on the latested 4.2.1 based AOKP-ROM.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Did you check the owner (root) and access rights? I tested the file with CM 10.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S III and it worked. It is surprising that AOKP differs so much from AOSP and CM.

But it may happen that it doesn't work - if not today then in the future. There has to be a more robust solution.

htc1977

Post by htc1977 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm

admin wrote:Did you check the owner (root) and access rights?
Thanks for this hint.
I changed the access rights from 600 to 644 like the original file was and now bluetooth starts again.
I will try to pair my phone to my car tomorrow and will let you know about the result.

Thanks for now.

htc1977

Post by htc1977 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

You really did a f****ng great job! Thank you very much.
I successfully paired my AUDI MMI with my Nexus running the latest AOKP again. No need to downgrade.

THANKS!

Reini47

Post by Reini47 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

It does not work for me with a Mercedes UHI (V2) and a Galaxy Nexus.

The Galaxy does not ask for the code, the Mercedes gives me after some seconds the falling melody.

I think, I replaced the file correctly. Bluethooth seem to be running and also the rights seem to work.

It had a pairing which stopped working with 4.21. I deleted it, but it does not worked to pair anymore. Could send a log, if necessary.

htc1977

Post by htc1977 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

After some connections I can say, rSAP works fine, but connecting eveytime I start my engine doesn't work, but I think this is an Android-Problem.
Sometimes they don't connect to each other, after switching it off and on again everything works fine.

Does someone know how to fix such a problem? I don't want to check if my mobile bluetooth connects to my car everytime I start my engine and cycle-switch it, if it doesn't.

Thanks in advance,
htc.

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

Reini47 wrote:It does not work for me with a Mercedes UHI (V2) and a Galaxy Nexus.

The Galaxy does not ask for the code, the Mercedes gives me after some seconds the falling melody.

I think, I replaced the file correctly. Bluethooth seem to be running and also the rights seem to work.

It had a pairing which stopped working with 4.21. I deleted it, but it does not worked to pair anymore. Could send a log, if necessary.
Has anyone tried with new Android 4.2.2? with or without fix?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 pm

I checked with both my Nexusses:

Stock Bluetooth still does not work - it would have suprised me if it did.

The file for 4.2.1 still works with 4.2.2. As far as I remember, with 4.2.1 it was enough to switch off/on Bluetooth to activate the new file. With 4.2.2 you need to reboot your phone.

Since I don't know what was changed in the file for 4.2.2 I strongly recomend you switch back to the original file after pairing! The phone should be recognized with the original file after initial pairing is done.

Return to “Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus”