Fix for 4.2 Service Discovery Problem

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
eagleCS

Re: Fix for 4.2 Service Discovery Problem

Post by eagleCS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 am

admin wrote:I checked with both my Nexusses:

Stock Bluetooth still does not work - it would have suprised me if it did.

The file for 4.2.1 still works with 4.2.2. As far as I remember, with 4.2.1 it was enough to switch off/on Bluetooth to activate the new file. With 4.2.2 you need to reboot your phone.

Since I don't know what was changed in the file for 4.2.2 I strongly recomend you switch back to the original file after pairing! The phone should be recognized with the original file after initial pairing is done.
Unfortunately read by the user REINI47 with the mercedes v2 does not working even with the 4.2.1... then I don't even try..

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 am

admin wrote: Since I don't know what was changed in the file for 4.2.2 I strongly recomend you switch back to the original file after pairing! The phone should be recognized with the original file after initial pairing is done.
BUT, if the problem is ONLY the FIRST paring, I could restore a pair backup of the 4.1.2 after installed 4.2.2?
might work?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

I don't know if the pairing data can be saved and restored. If it is possible, this may work. But then you should not lose pairing data at all when you update from 4.1 to 4.2...?

I'm also not sure if it is really true that the patch is only needed for the first pairing. I only tested with the Porsche PCM and so far nobody told me that it didn't work for him.

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am

admin wrote:I don't know if the pairing data can be saved and restored. If it is possible, this may work. But then you should not lose pairing data at all when you update from 4.1 to 4.2...?
With applications such as "Titanium Backup" you can save the pair bluetooth (and all app: I bought the Titanium "Pro" app

Will test this possibility tonight with my Mercedes ntg2 . Hopefully good...

Thanks

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:42 am

eagleCS wrote:
admin wrote:I don't know if the pairing data can be saved and restored. If it is possible, this may work. But then you should not lose pairing data at all when you update from 4.1 to 4.2...?
With applications such as "Titanium Backup" you can save the pair bluetooth (and all app: I bought the Titanium "Pro" app
Unfortunately, restoring the backup did not work because the structure of the configuration file's it's very different (/data/misc/bluetoothd/"varius files" -> /data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.xml).

But the modified "bluetooth.default.so" works perfectly with my Mercedes UHI v2 ! ;)

Thank you for support!!

eagleCS

Post by eagleCS » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:06 pm

ATTENTION: with my car (Mercedes sap v2) the new library should be left forever! Not for only first paring!
After restore the original library stop working!

Hi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

Oh no! This is the worst case. When other manufacturers start rolling out Android 4.2, every phone will need a special version. And I guess they will not "open source" this module. Be prepared for big problems with the MB SAP :?

JackSp

Post by JackSp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello admin,
I have a discovery problem with my rSAP Bluetooth Unit (Model: VW Premium FSE, rSAP only) on Volkswagen Golf 6 Model 2010:
My phone is Samsung Galaxy S i9000.
With original Android 2.3.6 it's connecting to rSAP well and SIM-Phonebook can be used (Android phonebook not).

Now I flashed my Galaxy S i9000 to CyanogenMod 10.1 (2013-04-10) using Android 4.2.2:

1. Trying to connect without modifications: rSAP not working - Phone was found by VW rSAP, but saying: Phone model not compatible (maybe not recognizing rSAP of phone)

2. Installing APP from Google Play: rSAP Installation App V2.2.6.
Doing Install/Update Sytem Files. Booting the phone. Trying to pair with VW rSAP. Same result as under Point 1.)

3. Using the second modification in rSAP Installation App V2.2.6.(Install Modified Lib):
Booting the phone. Trying to pair with VW rSAP. Again same result as under Point 1.)

So, when Volkswagen rSAP Module is searching for the phone, the Galaxy S is been found, but when I press Connect button on VW, it says: Phone model is not compatible.
(with Android 2.3.6 after connection the pairing code was shown and continued well.)

Please, can you give me a hint, what I'm doing wrong, or is there a further solution ?
Thanks. Jack

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:10 pm

When you replace the Samsung ROM with a CyanogenMod ROM you lose the rSAP profile. With my app you'll get rSAP support back, but you need to install and run the installer once (you did that) and you need to install the rSAP app itself (trial or full version). You shouldn't need the Android 4.2 patch with a VW.

If you don't desperately need any Android 4.2 feature I recommend Android 4.1/CyanogenMod 10. Bluetooth works much better with the older version!

JackSp

Post by JackSp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks for showing to me the right way ...
Seems, I've got something wrong with the procedure ...
I've thought that's all done with replacing the library only.
Now I did as you described and everything is working fine.

For those who may have the same problems as myself, I'm going to describe the whole procedure
step by step:

My bluetooth car unit: Volkswagen Premium FSE with rSAP protocol only (Model 2010)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S i9000 with Android 4.2.2 (Cyanogen Mod ROM 10.1, April 2013)

1. install "Bluetooth SIM Access Install" from Google Play
2. run app and select "Install/Update System Files"
(--> DO NOT use "Install Modified Lib" !)
3. reboot the phone
4. install "Bluetooth SIM Access (Trial)" from Google Play
5. install "Bluetooth IrMC Phonebook TEST" from Google Play
6. switch Bluetooth ON on the phone
7. make the phone visible (in bluetooth settings)
8. run app "Bluetooth SIM Access (Trial)"
9. run app "Bluetooth IrMC Phonebook TEST"
10. Car Unit: start pairing (searching a phone)
11. Car Unit: when Galaxy phone has been found, start connecting
12. Phone: Enter the pairing code given from car
13. Car Unit: Enter the PIN of your SIM Card and select "SAVE" (not OK!)
(If you enter OK, then the car will ask at every connect for the PIN)
14. When pairing is done, transfer the phone book to the car unit as follows:
15. Car Unit: Select Settings, Phonebook, Select Phonebook Contacts (Not SIM)
Select UPDATE
16. Phone: when permission to grant access to phonebook pops up, then DENY !
(because this VW Car Unit cannot read the Android phonebook with the system protocol)
17. the running app "Bluetooth IrMC Phonebook TEST" will grant the access by using IrMC Protocol instead.
18. Phonebook will be transferred correctly to the car unit with up to 4 phone number entries per name.

When disconneting the car, Samsung phone will automatically return to GSM online mode again.

Next time, when using the phone with the car unit, you don't have to pair anymore.
You have to do only the following steps: 6 and 8, not more.
When switching car ignition ON, phone will be connected automatically.

Only if you want to update the Car Unit Phone Book from the Samsung phone,
you have to do the steps 9, 15 and 16 additionally.

Note: Of course after testing you have to upgrade the apps 4.) and 5.) to the full versions,
because the test versions allow only 10 minutes of rSAP and only 3 dummy phonebook entries.

I hope this description will be helpful ;-)
Enjoy !

Return to “Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus”