Disconnect every few minutes

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
m0m0

Disconnect every few minutes

Post by m0m0 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 am

Hi!

I used rSAP for android on my old HTC HD2 with Android and also on my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0 and 4.1 and 4.2.1 on my previous car (Audi A6). Now I have another car (Volkswagen) with the RNS 510 Navigation System and Premium FSE and since the mobile phone wasn't able to connect to the RNS 510, I tried it with rSAP for Android again (current version). The phone immediately connects to the car, but loses the connection after a few minutes. Every time. When first connecting it, it stays connected for 5 to 10 minutes, after reconnecting the connection span gets shorter and shorter (1 to 2 minutes). The RNS 510 has the latest firmware on it.

I added the main log as an attachment: When I entered the car, it connected (at 07:10), at 07:17 it disconnected, at 07:21 I reconnected, at 07:22 it already disconnected again, at 07:24-25 I reconnected, at 07:26 it disconnected again.

Can you please analyse the log file and tell me why it disconnects and what to do. It really is annoying not to be able to hold a steady connection.

Thanks,
Chri
Last edited by m0m0 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Disconnect every few minutes

Post by admin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:43 pm

This sounds like a power save issue, although I know this only from HTC phones. Can you please create a HCI log and mail it to me (admin at android-rsap...). Don't upload logs here, they contain private data.

Which ROM do you use? Do you have some aggressive power save settings? You can verify if it is such an issue if you force the screen to stay on.

mnjhuz76

Post by mnjhuz76 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi there,

similar situation here: GNex (Stock 4.2.2, rooted) in combination with Porsche PCM3 - same behavior.

I think, I might know the reason for this, though. I had the trial version installed and after seeing, that it works perfectly with PCM, I purchased the full version yesterday and installed it. Right away I could see the behavior the OP describes. Since I didn't reboot the phone after installing the full version, today I thought this might be a good idea and after rebooting, I had a 45 minute trip with no problems at all.

Maybe it's just as simple as that. I will have an eye on this and let you know if it happens again.

Cheers,
Peter

m0m0

Post by m0m0 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm

I already tried uninstalling and installing the drivers and app(s) serveral times and had a lot of reboots inbetween too. So just rebooting doesn't cut it for me. Since I already bought the app for my previous phone I didn't even try the trial version this time.

Yesterday I drove while keeping the screen turned on on my phone to see if it's an issue with the (aggressive) power save settings but unfortunately it also lost the connection while the screen was on.

I made a main log and hci log today morning. Of course it disconnected again.
07:11 connect (while screen was off). 07:15 disconnected. Turned on screen permanently. 07:20 connected. 07:22 disconnected. 07:25 connected. Surprisingly stayed connected until I arrived (at about 07:31). The log only contains data until 07:21. I dont know why.

I'll send the main log and hci log to you via mail.
Today or tomorrow I'll make another (hopefully complete) log and send it to you if you need it.

Btw: Android 4.2.1 with Domination 3.0.31 ROM.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 pm

It looks like the power save issue. Some users reported that https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... hKeepalive helped.

m0m0

Post by m0m0 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am

I bought the Bluetooth Keepalive app and tried it (after rebooting). Looked good at first, no disconnect after the usual about 10 minutes, but unfortunately after 17 minutes. Afterterwards the same thing as usual - connection loss after 2 minutes.

Any more ideas? Should I try another ROM?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm

So far I don't know what's happening exactly, I only see in the logs that there is some kind of Bluetooth power mode change, and after that the communication is dead. So far only VW Premiums are affected and it doesn't happen to every version of the Premium. I don't know whose fault it is, and if it's the phone, what can be done to fix it. Because it seems to be a power mode issue everything that deals with power saving is suspiscious to cause the trouble.

Some users could fix the issue simply by switching off a power save mode (e.g. HTC One S), for many the Bluetooth Keep Alive app helped. Sometimes it helps to charge the phone while in the car. A different ROM may also change some small detail that keeps the Bluetooth connection up and running, so it's worth a try.

m0m0

Post by m0m0 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am

In the past few days I tried 5!! different ROMs. The time until the phone disconnected varied between 1 and 20 minutes, but eventually it disconnected with every ROM. When I pair the phone with the car after it has been disconnected a few hours, the delay before it disconnected was as mentioned between 1 and 20 minutes (most of the time between 10 and 20 minutes), but when a disconnect occured, the next disconnect usually occured in less than 5 minutes.

I'm trying to get my hands on another phone with android-rsap and make some tests with it. So maybe I can find out if it's a problem with my phone or with the/my vw premium.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Did you try charging or keeping the screen on?

m0m0

Post by m0m0 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am

admin wrote:Did you try charging or keeping the screen on?
screen on: yes, several times.
charging: no, but will look for an adapter to charge in the car and try it with that.

Return to “Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus”