It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm

rSAP for Android Forum

Support forum for Android rSAP App

Galaxy s3 w samsungs Android 4.3 and VW Passat

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S III

Galaxy s3 w samsungs Android 4.3 and VW Passat

Post by Holger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi,

My Phone has to be encrypted by company policy. Since then, phone book transfer to the car doesn't work out of the box (before it did). I tried the Bluetooth Phonebook to solve this and it worked. However, it does not work for all contacts. It seems that in the case where the main contact off the android (google mail) address book does not have a phone number, but a connected address book entry (e.g. What's app), the contact is stored without phone number in the car address book.

Any hint how to further trace down the root cause and solve this weirded thing?

Thanks and with best regards,
Holger

Re: Galaxy s3 w samsungs Android 4.3 and VW Passat

Post by admin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Maybe the "visible" option changes this behavior? But I must confess that I don't know what may change by encryption. Do you expect the WhatsApp phone number to appear in the car? You can create a log file and check for yourself if the log content matches what is visible in the car. Maybe there is an additional, so far unknown problem in the VW phone.

Post by Holger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi.

It seems I found part of the problem. In the log I can see some phone numbers are really "creative" and do contain a lot more than numbers and grouping symbols like spaces or brackets. While many phones are ignoring these, the Passat phone might stop at these characters rather than skipping. In this special case a bunch of my numbers do contain hey C2A0 characters. These are displayed as blank on some screens (like Google web contact display) but ignored on the Passat.

I have no idea where these come from, but I found them all in the log and thus can repair that manually.

Is there a way to modify the number during transfer to simply not transfer any character other than the plus symbol, the space, brackets, dashes and numbers on the fly? And, even better, write an error log to display the phone book they come from plus the changes being done?

Thanks!

Post by admin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I planned to add optional number 'normalization', this should fix such issues. I'll check if this also handles the UTF-8 'C2 A0' character. It is difficult to issue a warning for "strange" characters, because I'm not sure which characters in fact are "strange".

Post by Holger » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:03 am

By when do you think to have that feature implemented? Normal characters in a number would be plus, blank, and digits. Nothing else. All text needs to be removed... Not all end devices deal with text (and only few of them understand the p in a number as a pause event).

Post by admin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:01 pm

I don't want to promise a date, currently I'm quite busy with other things.

Return to Samsung Galaxy S III I9300