DUN connection with S3

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S III
Toug

DUN connection with S3

Post by Toug » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi,
I have a S3 and a car with a RNS510 with premium phone kit. (Admin you know me). I would like now to successfuly use the DUN connexion with my phone.
I have set the APN in the FSE. And now I would set up my phone.
My phone use a JRO03C build, so I downloaded the pre-built module here : http://www.android-rsap.com/index.php?o ... icle&id=88
But the /system/lib/modules folder doesn't exist. And I saw that in my phone the modules are in the /system/lib/ folder. If I try to make the module folder or if I try to copy the module in the /system/lib/ folder the shell returns

Code: Select all

cp: can't create '/system/lib/ppp_async.ko': Read-only file system
How can I copy the module? and where I have to copy it to?

Another question : The rSAP is already working in my phone without the rSAP application. Do I have to install rSAP system files from the rSAP installation app? Installing the application in order to have the DUN plugin entry is enough?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Toug

Re: DUN connection with S3

Post by Toug » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm

I want to add something: when I tried to copy the *.so module, I had the super user rights (the pop up appeared in the screen)
I tried to copy with the adb shell. I tried with a shell (Terminal emulator) with the same response.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

You have to mount the system partition as writable. The easiest way is to use a file manager that directly supports that, i.e. Root Explorer. Otherwise search for the exact command line for the S3.

The plugin will not work with the original Samsung rSAP. I recommend BlueVPN in that case.

Toug

Post by Toug » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

I found the way to put the /system in read/write, so I made a new folder modules to copy the .ko file

There is the blueVPN solution but I want to try the solution with your plugin.
It will not work with the samsung rSAP, so can I use your rSAP solution with the Jelly Bean samsung stock ROM?
(I am not confident in CM10 ROMS, there are still some bugs)
If yes do I have to remove something before installing your apps?

The pre-built module you give us seems built for my samsung stock build (JRO03C).

If the stock ROMS are not compatible with your rSAP, witch build do you advise me to install? (for easy install with one of your pre-built modules)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:33 am

The installer app disables Samsung rSAP, so you can install my app with the stock ROM. To find out if the kernel module is compatible, simply run 'insmod ppp_async.ko' in a root shell. If this works without an error message the DUN plugin should work.

Toug

Post by Toug » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm

It seem that I have to compile a new module as the module don't want to be loaded:

Code: Select all

root@android:/system/lib/modules # insmod ppp_async.ko
insmod ppp_async.ko
insmod: init_module 'ppp_async.ko' failed (Invalid argument)
I have some knowledge in IT, if you want to explain me. I will try to make one. It could be intesresting as the the stock I have is very common.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Do you have the stock JRO03C kernel? I checked once again and I could 'insmod' it.

If you use a different kernel you have to get the exact sources your kernel was built with and change the build configuration to include 'ppp_async' as a loadable module.

Toug

Post by Toug » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi,
Yes I have the JRO03C.I9300XXDLJ2 stock build with the 3.0.31-61691 kernel. I have rooted it but this change nothing on the ability to load the module.

It is very strange that you could do it if we have the same build.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

This may be the problem: I have I9300XXDLID and kernel version 3.0.31-256827. The last time the module worked with more than one version. It seems this time it doesn't. I used GT-I9300_JB_Opensource_Update5.zip to create the kernel. Perhaps you need Update6?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I built the kernel module with the Update6 sources and got the following output:
ppp_async.ko.zip
Kernel module from "Update6" sources
(71.11 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Can you please test if you can insmod it?

I also created a short tutorial how I built the file: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=641

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S III I9300”