Galaxy SII, Neatrom Lite and Saab 9-3 not working

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
Sharp as a Tack

Galaxy SII, Neatrom Lite and Saab 9-3 not working

Post by Sharp as a Tack » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a Galaxy S2 running NeatRom Lite v.5.3.1 (Samsung based Android 4.1.2 rom). I also have a 2006 Saab 9-3 with the standard 2 din Nav.

If I accept transfer contacts when I pair the phone with the car it pairs then immediately disconnects. Sometimes it reconnects and disconnects every 30 seconds or so, sometimes it just stays disconnected. If I cancel transfer contacts it stays connected and works OK (I can dial contacts from the phone but its a pita). To confirm it's not the car, I can pair my awful work Nokia E5 and transfer contacts perfectly.

So, in a search for a solution (which seems to confirm the above is a known issues with Android 4.1.2) I came across and installed the trial version of the Bluetooth Phonebook app. I expected it to solve the issues. Application Manager confirms that the BluetoothPbapService is being provided by the Phonebook app however when I re-pair the phone and accept transfer contacts I still get the disconnection issue. The PBAP state in the app never changes from Ready.

Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Galaxy SII, Neatrom Lite and Saab 9-3 not working

Post by admin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm

I guess your car uses a different profile for phonebook transfer, most probably "Handsfree". If you mail me a HCI log created with my logger app, I can check that. Please start the log before you power on the car, or even better, redo the Bluetooth pairing from scratch.

Sharp as a Tack

Post by Sharp as a Tack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for your help. I've emailed the log to you (I didn't think I could send mails on the forum but it seems I was doing it wrong :? :D ).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 am

If you edit a HCI log file with a text editor I can no longer open it with WireShark...

From what I could see with a text editor the car uses the "Handsfree" profile for phonebook transfer. There is no way to fix that. I could not see if the car maybe tries a different profile.

Sharp as a Tack

Post by Sharp as a Tack » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Ah, sorry but I wasn't happy to send my phone contacts unedited.

So, I logged out of my Google account, re-paired the phone with just the mobile provider SIM contacts and, guess what, it stayed connected :D Re-enabled the Google account and it disconnected.

I'll fiddle with the contacts offline and do another trace.

ETA; OK, so I a bit more testing. It fails with lots of Google contacts but works with one (both plus SIM contacts) :o

I've emailed you the unmolested log which should contain both connections. I'd be interested to know why before I re-create all my contacts

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:07 am

The bad news is that your car only uses the "Handsfree" profile for phonebook transfer and not one of the profiles that my app supports. The Handsfree profile cannot be fixed by a separate app.

I don't know much about the Handsfree profile so I can only guess what may go wrong. If you open the HCI dump with a text editor you see all the "+CPBR" lines. Maybe the last entry causes the trouble. Check your contact data for special characters or for strange phone number types, i.e. not "work", "home". The number type specifies the "/W", "/H", ... data. Maybe there is a strange value there?

It's always hard to find out what data causes problems...

Sharp as a Tack

Post by Sharp as a Tack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll go through the data. At least there's some hope of fixing it :D

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”