can't import phone book

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
okiebirdnerd

can't import phone book

Post by okiebirdnerd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 am

I’m not sure how I ended up at this forum. I think I saw something about an app that might cure my problem. I hope someone here can help me before I lose my mind!! I have an AT&T Galaxy S4, SGH1337 phone purchased in May from AT&T. For some reason I can't get my phone book to transfer in my car. It will sync/pair so I can use the Nav system to answer an incoming call by pressing the answer button on my steering wheel but nothing else works. My Galaxy S4 is an Android 4.2.2. I have a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD and I synced and imported my phonebook with my HTC phone (android 2.4.1) in 09. Since I was able to use that phone book it hasn’t bothered me that my S4 phonebook wouldn’t transfer. At least my every day phone numbers were there.
Anyway, for some reason the other day out of the blue when I was going to use my phone book in the cars Nav System it said there wasn't a phone book. So I tried to import the HTC phone book again since I gave my husband my old phone and it said there was an error transferring just like with the S4. It acts like it is importing but then it says it can't finds my phone book.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It used to work with his HTC and now it won't. I can't imagine what might have changed to cause it to stop transferring. I miss having my phone book in my car. The one thing I noticed that was different with the Samsung when going through the setup is I never found a place to add the ‘Pairing Pin’ like I did with the HTC. Is there a place to add that with my phone? I sure didn’t see it. I have spent hours reading and posting messages on Android & Honda forums. Does the issue have anything to do with having gmail address book? If I could somehow just get 20 of my regularly used phone numbers to transfer I’d be tickled pink! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

okiebirdnerd

Re: can't import phone book

Post by okiebirdnerd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 am

Just to confirm: I did install the Bluetooth phone book trial app. I went through all your info and I have everything in the app checked that you said to select. I can not find the 'BluetoothPbapservice' under my active apps. Under my App Manager/Active Apps then Bluetooth Share I have 8. BluetoothOppServ,MapService, GattService, HealthService, A2dpServiceHidService, PanService,HeadsetService.
I have quite a few groups of contacts...like friends and so on. The only group that I don't get an error are the three I did a drag and drop into my phone. Instead of getting an error saying error occurred while loading I get 'Phone book could not be imported" Isn't that better than an error?
I also installed an app called Bluetooth Auto Connect 3.3. Could that be the problem? It isn't on my SD card but neither is the Bluetooth Phone Book App.
Thanks in advance for your help!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am

Phonebook is quite a complicated matter. There are many different ways ("profiles") a phonebook may be transferred from a phone to a car, and many things that may go wrong with each profile. There are a lot of known bugs in the Android software that may suddenly show up as soon as you change something in your contact data, e.g. a new entry in the missed calls list. You may try to find out which recent change caused the problem, but it's not easy.

Don't bother checking the running services on your phone. These instructions are a leftover from the time where I didn't have a working trial version. I should remove that...

After you installed the phonebook trial app and connected to your car, do you see a "last connected" somewhere in the app's screen? If not, the car doesn't talk to the 2 profiles which my app supports. You may try to remove the Bluetooth pairing from car and phone and redo. Maybe now the car uses one of the app's profiles. If not, my app cannot help you, although I heard of Honda drivers where the app did help.

okiebirdnerd

Post by okiebirdnerd » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:26 am

Yes I do see your app connected to my phone yesterday at 8:14 PM. Your app connected to three of my profiles and showed the time. One is named,imported 11-3-13, one named 11-3-13-2 and the one I've been using since I purchased my phone in May is called Imported 5-6-13. The 5-6-13 is the one that just disappeared last week. I'd rather have the newer profile but at this point beggars can't be choosers.
So at this point I know your app sees my profile but won't transfer it. On the 3rd on my phone within my phonebook I told it to export my contacts to my SIM card and the day I bought my phone the AT&T guy said he put my contacts on my SIM card so now I have two. I believe your app saw those two and the one called 11-3-13-2 are the contacts with phone numbers I use. I just checked and I don't have an SD card. Would it help if I transferred my contacts to one? If I purchase an SD card and export my book to it can your app find it?
I read somewhere that if I delete all my contacts from my phone and download them again from Google it might transfer in my car. What do you think about that?
I feel like I am so close to figuring this out. Thank you in advance for your help!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 am

Whoa. This get's confusing. I don't understand what you are doing, what you are expecting and what finally happens...

A "profile" is a communication specification, so other Bluetooth device know how to ask for data. My app implements profiles. If the car can handle a profile it connects to the phone and reads the data.

When my app says it was connected to something it is a device. So it looks like you have 3 cars with device names like "11-3-13", "5-6-13", ...? Or does the car change it's name every time you connect? Or are these files you created somehow?

My app should simply transfer what is visible in the contacts app on your phone. No additional action is necessary. Best is to simply let Google sync the contacts. So there is no need to copy anything anywhere, not to SIM card or SD card. This is not used by my app. Sometimes my app does not transfer any contacts for a yet unknown reason. Please create a log from inside the app and mail it to admin at ... so I can check if that happens on your phone.

okiebirdnerd

Post by okiebirdnerd » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm

I only have one car and one phone..Okay, within your app under 'option' it says " Sync Contacts group" and I select which group to sync with.. When I tap on that, there are many groups. At the top of that page it says "Sync Contact Groups" I have Family, all groups, neighbors etc.. I only have 3 that say 'imported" in front of the date, they are imported 5/6/13, imported 11/3/13, and imported 11/3/13. Those are the only ones that do NOT say "an error occurred while loading. If the imported book is missing information please try importing it again" I feel like it is saying it can't find any of those with that error message. Those three mentioned above that I imported are the only ones that your app found but couldn't import. That is why I was wondering if your app only saw what was on my Sim card?
Also I read somewhere that you can't have images associated with phone numbers that it messes up the transfer. And I don't mean my Facebook friends. I mean like my mom, when she calls it shows me a photo of her so I know who it is that is calling. I probably have 20 friends/neighbors that aren't facebook friends that when they text me I can see their picture so I know who is texting me. I thought maybe those people that have a photo I added were messing with the transfer. I'm sorry if this is too confusing. I've just read where some people can get a few of their contacts to transfer and I'd feel like I could figure out what the problem was if I could get one contact to show up.
I have two questions:
1. Does your app only get contacts from the sim card?
2. Do all cell phones need to have a pairing pass code? I can't find where to add that during the process.
Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:35 pm

As I said: my app should simply transfer what is visible in the contacts app. Some phones also show SIM contacts in the contacts app, then my app may also transfer SIM contacts. But you shouldn't use SIM contacts. They are so 20th century...

If you pair two Bluetooth devices you need to either enter or confirm a code. This is done to prevent misuse and to initialize the encryption of the data. The code is usually requested once, so you don't have to look for it or enter it later. As soon as two devices are "paired" they recognize each other automatically the next time they get near each other.

I still don't understand what you want to "import" from where to where... Usually you pair your phone and car. During that process the car quries the phone for it's capabilities (profiles). If it finds out that the phone is able to send contacts data via some known profile, it simply pulls the data from the phone. The car usually does that each time it gets powered on with the phone nearby. And it does that automatically, so there is nothing you need to import, export or whatever.

okiebirdnerd

Post by okiebirdnerd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 am

Gosh I don't know! I just want my car to recognize my contacts so I can access the phonebook through my navigation system on my car and it says it can't. I just want to know what I can do to make that happen. I was not raised to believe in "can't" so this is frustrating to me!
Thank you for your time. I'm obviously doing something wrong and I don't understand the terminology enough to figure it out. Thanks again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:44 am

Ok, to end this I simply describe how the phonebook is supposed to work:
  • Set your phone Bluetooth visible and switch on the car. If not done automatically start the search for Bluetooth devices in the car.
  • After the phone is found either the car shows a number to enter in the phone or both devices show a number to confirm. Now both devices are paired.
  • That's it. The car pulls the phonebook from the phone automatically.
If this doesn't work install the trial version of my phonebook app. If it still doesn't work check if there is a "last connected" state in my app. If not your car most probably uses a different profile which is not supported by my app. You may try to delete and redo the Bluetooth pairing. If it still doesn't work I cannot help you.

If you see a "last connected" but you still have no data in your car, post in this forum. Tell me your configuration (car/phone) and mail me a log from the app or a HCI log. The latter currently works only on some rooted phones with my logger app and on the Nexus 5.

okiebirdnerd

Post by okiebirdnerd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:46 pm

I deleted out everything on my car and started fresh. This time I was able to add a pin on my phone when pairing. I thought everything was going to work and it still said phonebook could not be imported. I shut the car off and tried again and no go. I have a galaxy s4 by AT&T android version 4.2.2 2009 Honda Pilot touring 2wd. My car says it has blue tooth auto connect 3.3
I tried to add the log file from the rsap folder on my phone and it said the extension is not allowed here. I added the log file here then started all over again in my car but it didn't work. I threw both apps in the trash that I downloaded and tried again. I figured out that the phonebook it transferred was called My Contacts. All the names have a G showing they are in my Google phonebook. Even though I had my phone set to only show names with phone numbers it was showing 50 more that I only had email addresses for. So I went through and deleted all the contacts I didn't want on my car and I ended up with 90. I think the ones I deleted were facebook friends and I don't care about those cause I have them backed up on my home computer.
I'm not sure why my Galaxy s4 wouldn't work but I sure tried! I would only make one change at a time and try to import again and write down the results. I figured I could install the trial version again if I still couldn't get it to import. Maybe the first app I downloaded was working against yours...I don't know. I am thankful to be able to move on and not stress over this. Where there is a will there is a way! I didn't give up. You can email me if you would like the log file. I saved it to my desktop. You might be able to figure out what went wrong. Or if you know how to tell me where to look for a file to send you now that it imported it properly just tell me where to look and I'll send it your way. It would probably help you help others. You have been more than helpful and I will give you 5 stars if it will let me at the android play store!! Thank you again for all your help!! :D :D :D
Last edited by okiebirdnerd on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”