Nexus 4 with Opel car kit (CD400)

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
surly

Nexus 4 with Opel car kit (CD400)

Post by surly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Since I use a Nexus 4 with an Opel car kit (CD400) I never have managed to sync phone book, get call lists or operate the car kit with the steering wheel controls, like it was possible with a Samsung Galaxy S before.
After having installed the Bluetooth Phonebook app, everything works fine, with one precondition:
After connecting to the car kit via bluetooth, I have to make one call (or try to call e.g. myself) directly on the phone - audio on car kit already works at this moment (like it always did).
After this call I have to wait 2 or 3 minutes, before everything is working.
Same behaviour with Android 4.3 as with 4.4 now.

Is there a solution for this restriction?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Nexus 4 with Opel car kit (CD400)

Post by admin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 pm

This is strange... Can you please create a log with the phonebook app? Start it befor you start the car and let it run until the phonebook is transferred. If your phone is rooted you may also create a HCI log with my logger app. Mail the logs to admin at ...

surly

Post by surly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 am

My phone isn't rooted. But I sent you the app log.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am

Hmm... I can see that the first transfer starts about 4 minutes after you started the log. I guess that's when the phonebook shows up? The car decides when to pull the phonebook, so I don't know if something may be done.

I also found that the incoming and missed call lists were not fully transferred, but didn't see any possible reason for that. Did you notice that somehow? Was there a message in the car? Maybe that's the reason for the delayed display in the car?

surly

Post by surly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 am

There isn't any message in the car. I can only see that data was transferred when trying to access the call list from car kit, and get a result. Incoming and missed calls transfer was always a problem, also with Samsung Galaxy S, where other things worked out of the box.
The only drawback for me is at the moment, that this outgoing call from my phone is necessary to make things work. Without that the connection between car kit and phone seems to be blocked.
I can access phone book (from a previous transfer, I guess) and start a phone call from the car kit, but nothing happens (it seems to be blocked or queued). I also cannot accept any incoming call on the phone using the car kit controls.
After having done this initial outgoing call from my phone (bluetooth connection works, and audio works from the beginning), this previous phone call attempt from car kit is also started. And I can use the car kit controls for incoming calls.
It seems that this initial outgoing call from my phone is necessary to initialize the connection from car kit to phone.
Is it possible that Bluetooth Phonebook app would do this initialization, or whould this only be possible from car kit?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 pm

This sounds more like a problem with the Handsfree profile. I don't think there is an easy solution, maybe it works better if you flash CyanogenMod, but that's only a guess. Bluetooth implementation is very lousy in the original Google Android code and they don't seem to accept help... CyanogenMod fixed some of these bugs.

The only improvement I might achieve with my phonebook app is that all entries from the call list show up in the car. But I couldn't see anything in the log data that may explain why the car aborts the transfer.

surly

Post by surly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Ok, thank you very much.
Bluetooth Phonebook app is a big step forward anyway, without it I couldn't use the car kit (except audio) at all, so the restriction to make one outgoing call before everything is working is acceptable for me.

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”