Bluetooth Phonebook App-works only when active or switched?

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
BJB

Bluetooth Phonebook App-works only when active or switched?

Post by BJB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I purchased Bluetooth Phonebook and was happy that it worked with my Galaxy Nexus on JB and Audi MMI Bluetooth hookup, MOST of the time. But sometimes I still get my old connection which just downloads one of the categories in my phonebook (one category, same one every time). At these times I know Bluetooth phonebook did not do the sync as it says "retrying" vs. "last connection". From my reading I understand that some variant of this is a known issue, but I am very close to making it work more reliably if I can figure this one thing out.

My problem is it only works reliably if I make sure Bluetooth Phonebook is open and "active" on the phone...like on the phone screen not even switched in the background. And (I was not sure about this) but clearly just the install does not fix the Bluetooth stack. It at least has to be running, correct? And again, it appears it must have been recently "viewed" onscreen for it to grab the next sync. I also do not know if the app continues to use battery power if it keeps "retrying", seems like it might.

Just want to make sure my understanding is correct and if there is a setting or some way to make the app "active" whenever it sees a Bluetooth connection. That would make it work all the time! Because when I really need my contacts in the car I make sure the phone screen is on and the app is the current one and it works reliably. Unfortunately the Audi deletes all contacts every time you disconnect the phone, so if I get a bad sync the next time I connect (say I just get in the car and let it connect via Bluetooth and don't check the app), I don't have any of the contacts I need. Just that one category via the non-Bluetooth Phonebook app Bluetooth stack sync which might not be the people I call the most.

I like the app and I am most of the way there to making it work if I could just figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.
BJB

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth Phonebook App-works only when active or switch

Post by admin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

I found out recently that the built-in PBAP service reenables itself on some phones, maybe this is what happens on your phone. The result is that sometimes my app, sometimes the original service is active. I'll release an update to fix that in the next days. I hope this will help.

BJB

Post by BJB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:25 am

admin wrote:I found out recently that the built-in PBAP service reenables itself on some phones, maybe this is what happens on your phone. The result is that sometimes my app, sometimes the original service is active. I'll release an update to fix that in the next days. I hope this will help.
That is awesome! Look forward to it, Thanks.
BJB

BJB

Post by BJB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 am

So I downloaded the updated bluetooth phonebook app and when it is open, it seems to work ALL the time! :) So thanks, that is awesome!

Well at least for a week which before was never the case. Hopefully not a coincidence.

One question. Is there an app or way to make the bluetooth phonebook app "active" all the time without leaving it "open" in the background? It is just so easy to swipt it closed by mistake.

The only time it did not work over the past week was when it was closed.

Thanks,
BJB

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 am

As far as I know the only way to stop the phonebook service is to "kill" it in Android app settings or with a task manager. Swiping it out of the task list does not actually stop an app.

Apart from that the phonebook service may be killed by Android at any time, as long as I don't add an icon to force it active, like I did in my rSAP app. Usually the service is restarted soon after killing, but you may hit that gap when entering the car. Since I don't like to fill up the status bar and I myself did never experience any problem, I did not yet add the icon to keep it active.

BJB

Post by BJB » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks for that explanation. I was going to use tasker or something to try to trigger it every few hours but I'll just close it and see how it goes. That must be what is happening, android kills it once in a while. Good to know that it should start back up though.

Thanks again for the fix. It is much better.

BJB

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”