It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 pm

rSAP for Android Forum

Support forum for Android rSAP App

Character encoding ISO-8859-2

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app

Character encoding ISO-8859-2

Post by kaldo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Hello there,
Great program. The only program on the market, which changing the order first and last name in the telephone directory on Android. Question.I changed charter encoding to ISO-8859-2. I connected my phone to car over a bluetooth. But my problem now is that it doesnt display following letters:
character "Š" displayed as "S",
character "Č" displayed as "empty space",
character "Ž" displayed as "empty space"

Please help me.

Re: Character encoding ISO-8859-2

Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Does the car show any diacritics at all? Maybe you don't have to change the encoding, but rather use the transliteration plugin to change all characters with diacritics to "pure" ASCII characters.

Post by kaldo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:20 pm

I changed the settings in the "Final Conversion" in to the "convert to ASCII". In the line "Charcter encoding" I have written "ISO-8859-2".
I reconnected my phone to car over a bluetooth. But my problem now is:
character "Š" displayed as "S",
character "Č" displayed as "C",
character "Ž" displayed as "Z"

Please help me

Post by admin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 am

If your car cannot display characters with diacritics, this is the best you can achieve. Do you have any reason to think your car is able to show the correct characters?

Why did you change to ISO 8859-2 at all? What happens with standard coding?

Post by kaldo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:34 pm

admin wrote:Maybe you don't have to change the encoding, but rather use the transliteration plugin to change all characters with diacritics to "pure" ASCII characters.

What do you mean by "pure" ASCII?
What is the correct setting to display "č,š,ž" characters with diacritics ?
Regards,

Post by admin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:27 pm

I'll try to explain:

Usually PBAP uses UTF-8 for character coding. This can represent all characters that ever existed in the world, including Egypt hieroglyphs and Sumerian cuneiform. I'm not sure with Klingonian :lol:

Cars usually cannot display all existing characters. I guess no car will display Klingonian or Egypt hieroglyphes, some will show Asian symbols or Greek or Cyrillic characters, but some even cannot display Latin characters with diacritics, like č. Usually the car then displays a simple space or some fancy symbol (which I'd consider a bug in the car software).

Some cars cannot handle UTF-8 (Volvo as far as I remember), that's why it is possible to select the character encoding in my app. This is worth a try if the car shows 2 completely different characters for a single "special" character, e.g. 'č ' for č.

If your car cannot display the characters you have in your data, it cannot display them in whatever coding you use. To prevent the ugly gaps, you can use the transliteration plugin to replace the missing characters with similar looking charaters, which the car is able to display, like c for č.

Return to Bluetooth Phonebook App