LG Nexus 4

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
_H_

LG Nexus 4

Post by _H_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi
Since I upgraded to an LG Nexus 4, my phonebook no longer synced to my Fiscon Pro retrofit car kit. It had worked flawlessly with my previous handset (an SE Xperia mini pro SK17i running android 2.3). I installed the Bluetooth Phonebook app last weekend but have only had limited success!

Out of the box, the Nexus 4 (running android 4.2.1) will pair up and function as a phone without any issues, (no Bluetooth dropouts!). It will even stream music to my car without any issues but the phonebook or call logs won’t transfer. However, if I received or made a call then the caller’s name would display correctly on the dash. …. So I guess there is some communication between the two. After the call is ended, no logs or contact details again.

After coming across this app and installing it, the first time I connected to the car it worked… full access to the phonebook and call logs……..brilliant. Except since then, it has only worked one other time. I have tried un-pairing, re-pairing from both the car and the phone, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the app, I have tried activating the Bluetooth on the phone at different times (ie before getting in the car, after getting in the car with ignition on etc.). I had all but given up, when yesterday morning, for no reason at all, it worked again for the second time. So out of approx 25 car journeys, it has only worked twice……… which is twice more than the Nexus did without the app!!

Any help you can offer to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

One observation I have made (which may be completely irrelevant) is that the Nexus appears to connect to the car kit too quickly! (If that’s even possible). With my old phone, you’d jump in the car, start it and the dash would say ‘activating phone’ for a few seconds before displaying the gsm carrier name etc. With the Nexus 4, it only flashes up ‘activating phone’ for a split second and almost goes directly to displaying the carrier name/signal strength etc……. as if it might be by-passing the data transfer stage??

Sorry for the long winded post, but I would love to get this working properly.
Thanks in advance for any help.

admin
Site Admin

Re: LG Nexus 4

Post by admin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't know the Fiscon device. Do you have the possibility to force a phonebook update in the car? Does my phonebook app show a "last connected to..." that corresponds to your actions and your expectation?

Did you get a notification about phonebook access on the mobile after every fresh pairing? Try to deny access, then only my app should be active. I have the suspicion that the phonebook transfer via Handsfree got worse with Android 4.2. Perhaps this causes problems.

Sadly there is no possibility to create a HCI log with Android 4.2. This would help...

_H_

Post by _H_ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

The Fiscon Pro kit basically 'fools' the Mercedes Comand system into thinking it has a genuine Merc phone kit installed and obviously uses bluetooth as opposed to a wired phone cradle. It's basically a cheaper alternative to the genuine gear to enable a retrofit of a car phone into the existing factory fit radio, steering controls etc etc. It's operated the same way as a genuine Merc set up, which in answer to your question, doesn't have an option to force a download of the contact details. You can however type them all in manually but they then become stored permanently in the radio memory, which I didn't want to do.

The app does show a 'last connected to' entry which changes in line with every last connection as expected so that would appear to be ok.

I did get a notification for phonebook access on the mobile and did accept it! I shall try a fresh pair-up next time and not allow it. Seeing as your app overwrites the original apk, would this not make any difference anyway?

Thanks again for your help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Bluetooth phonebook transfer is quite complicate...

You have several profiles that may transfer the phonebook: Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP), Handsfree, IrMC, proprietary Nokia profiles and rSAP (for the SIM phonebook). Plain Android supports PBAP and Handsfree. So when Android asks for phonebook access right it may be because of one of those two. So if you deny phonebook access, Handsfree transfer should be blocked. PBAP will still be handled by may app - it ignores the access request. So it's worth a try...

Physikuss

Post by Physikuss » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Is it correct, that the RSAP-profile app works on the Nexus 4 (JB 4.2.1)? Thus, only the Phonebook-Sync is an issue?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 am

No, rSAP does not work on the stock Nexus 4. But with a little luck my app may be running soon...

_H_

Post by _H_ » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Update -

I re-paired the Nexus with the car kit only this time not giving permission to access the phonebook as you suggested. Unfortunately it has made no difference and it still won't work.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Is your phone rooted? I finally made my HCI logger app work with Android 4.2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sap.logger). Can you please create a log with this app? Start the log before you connect and stop after disconnect.

_H_

Post by _H_ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.... No, I'm not rooted but I'll do it to get your logger working in the hope of finding the problem.

How long do I to run the log for before disconnecting? Will a a simple on/off do?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 am

Best would be to log a fresh pairing and then let it run for a minute or two. Note that the HCI Logger switches Bluetooth off/on to start/stop logging, so be sure to switch logging on before you start the connection, and switch off after disconnect.

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”