Phonebook in MFD but not in RNS display

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
Chucky

Phonebook in MFD but not in RNS display

Post by Chucky » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 pm

admin wrote:Sorry, but you need root to install the rSAP system files.
Are you (or someone else here) able to post a real 'dummy's' guide to rooting my Nexus 4?

I am happy running stock android and am currently running 4.2.2 but if someone could explain the simple steps then I will take the leap to get the contacts up onto my RNS510.

Any assistance appreciated, as so many different guides say so many different things and it confuses the hell out of me.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Does RSAP work on Nexus 4?

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 pm

rSAP will most probably not help if you have problems with phonebook transfer. It only helps if you have a VW "Premium" car phone.

Phonebook problems may be fixed by my Phonebook app, which does not require root. But I cannot promise success without knowing all details.

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:47 pm

admin wrote:rSAP will most probably not help if you have problems with phonebook transfer. It only helps if you have a VW "Premium" car phone.
Let me stress it transfers fine to the MFD even without additional programs, it is purely not displaying on my RNS510 (ie no speed dials or phonebook access on the RNS510....I have both on the MFD).
admin wrote:Phonebook problems may be fixed by my Phonebook app, which does not require root. But I cannot promise success without knowing all details.
I tried the Phonebook app yesterday, alas no fix, Unless I didn't do it correctly (was I supposed to allow the phonebook access, or deny it?)...again it displayed on my MFD just not able to display/access on my RNS510.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 am

So the transfer from phone to car works, there are only problems within the car. This surely cannot be fixed on the mobile phone. I'd rather guess that the RNS is not properly integrated with the phone. Remember these are seperate boxes that communicate with each other. Did you add it later? You should ask a VW dealer if he can fix this.

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 am

No issues with Phone to Car - All works great and as expected with the MDF (Phonebook etc)

Issues with Phone to RNS510 - Will not pull up the phonebook at all, cannot add Speed Dials. This issue originally started with 4.1.2 (or possibly the update before 4.1.2) with my Galaxy Nexus and now with my Nexus 4. I can plug in an iPhone, SGS2 or just about any other phone, and the RNS510 works perfectly, but something is stopping the RNS510 from accepting the phonebook/speed dials with any Nexus phone running 4.1.2 or later.

In a couple of days, I will try to root the phone so I can add your files and hopefully that will resolve the issue. If that doesn't work, I honestly dont know what else to do?

I contacted the people who installed it, and he mentioned alot of new android phones are not allowing it. So I can only guess it has to do with the rSAP files which when I root my phone in a couple of days, hopefully will rectify the issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:13 am

I no longer understand: is it the same car where you get the phonebook in the MFD display, but not in the RNS display? Is MFD the display in the instrument cluster? And everything works with a Samsung S II, but not with the Nexus 4? What car phone do you have? "Premium" or "Plus" or whatever?

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 am

admin wrote:is it the same car where you get the phonebook in the MFD display, but not in the RNS display?
Yes VW Golf GTI Pirelli
admin wrote:Is MFD the display in the instrument cluster?
Yes
admin wrote:And everything works with a Samsung S II, but not with the Nexus 4?
Yes
admin wrote:What car phone do you have? "Premium" or "Plus" or whatever?
I am not sure how I can tell? I think Premium, but it may not be.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 pm

This is really weird. I guess there is only one transfer of the phonebook to the car, so the car should be able to show the same info in all places... Did you redo the Bluetooth pairing after installing my phonebook app?

I'll move this to the phonebook forum, since it is not really Nexus 4 related.

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 pm

admin wrote: Did you redo the Bluetooth pairing after installing my phonebook app?
Yes, But I never restarted the Nexus 4 before re-doing the pairing (and as I mentioned previously, I still dont have root....but I think you mentioned you dont need root for that app). Also in your app I had both options ticked (irmc and something else) and tried the pairing, and individually ticked and re-did the pairing each time (one on one off).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Phonebook in MFD but not in RNS display

Post by admin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm completely clueless what happens in your case. I'd rather think it is a problem within the car, but it's strange that it works with an SGS2. I could better understand if I had HCI logs of the SGS2 and the Nexus, but this would need root on both phones. And I cannot promise that I can find the reason for the problem or can even fix it.

About "Premium" phone: you have a Premium car phone if the receiption on your SGS2 goes away as soon as you are connected to the car. Also if you have a phone holder on the dashboard you most probably do not have a Premium phone.

And back to the original question: if you still want to root your Nexus check this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1995688. But as I explained, this will most probably not help to fix your phonebook problem.

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”