Name Formatting

Discussions about PBAP and IrMC/SYNCH profile app
admin
Site Admin

Name Formatting

Post by admin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 am

Since some of you asked, I checked how to handle the name formatting (last name first or first/given name first). This is what I found out:

The Android contacts database stores 6 fields for every name:
  • prefix (Mr., Dr., ...)
  • First/given name
  • Middle name
  • Last name
  • Suffix (Jr., ...)
  • Formatted name - this puts all parts together. This is always first/given name first
When you edit a contact you can individually edit the name parts, or the formatted name. As soon as you change one you automatically modify the other.

The contacts app (checked AOSP Android 4.2, others may differ) is able to display the list either first/given name first or last name first. Changing the sort order does not modify the underlying database.

The phonebook transfer basically transmits 2 fields:
  • N consists of the name parts in a specified order
  • FN is the formatted name
Not very surprising, Android's standard phonebook app sends it's formatted name as FN. Some car kits seem to use only this field for contact display, this causes problems for some of you. Other car kits take the name parts and offer options for name display (e.g. VW Premium).

I may add options to my phonebook app to create a different formatted name, but I'm not sure which formatting you need:

Dr. John B. Goode Jr. - this is default today
Dr. Goode, John B., Jr. - how Android contacts app displays. Always sorted by "D"!
Goode, Dr. John B., Jr. - to avoid sorting by" D". But is it OK?

What about non-European names? Please let me know what you think about it!

EDIT:

I guess I was too quick. I should have tested things before thinking about what to change :roll:

The Nokia 616 also uses the name parts and not the formatted name, but gives no option of sorting and displaying by last name first. So the only option is to optionally swap first and last name - everywhere. I'll add that to the next version of the phonebook app.

You are still invited to discuss here...

Spielkind

Re: Name Formatting

Post by Spielkind » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 am

Your Solutions works perfect with my SGSIII & SGSII and my Nokia 618!

Greetings
Jürgen

Phony

Post by Phony » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I've got a minor problem with the sorting order of my phonebook entries. I can't get the car's audio system to display the last name first.

My devices:
- car audio: Sony MEX-BT3100U
- phone: Motorola Razr i (stock Android 4.1.2, not rooted)

Without your Bluetooth Phonebook app, the phonebook transfer from the phone to the car audio didn't work at all. So I installed the trial version, et voilà, the phonebook transfer actually worked. Consequently, I purchased the full version, and I'm quite happy with it (thanks, btw).

The only problem is that I can't get the car's audio system to display the last name first. No matter how I change the sorting order in my phone's contacts app, and no matter if I put a checkmark in the "swap first/last name" field of the Bluetooth Phonebook app or not, the car audio system always displays the phonebook in the "first name, last name" format.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Which profile does your car use / shows "last connected"?

Phony

Post by Phony » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:27 pm

The car audio uses PBAP.
When the car audio and the phone are connected, the app shows "connected to Sony Automotive".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

Sorry for the delay...

Can you please create logs with and without the "swap" setting in my app? You may check yourself in the logs if you spot a difference or you may mail the logs to admin at ... Does the Sony have an option to swap first/last name?

Phony

Post by Phony » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I've just sent you the log files.

The Sony car audio does not have an option to swap first/last name.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Sorry it took so long... Your Sony uses a way to query the phonebook that I've never seen before. It may take some time to find out what may go wrong.

Phony

Post by Phony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 pm

It's not a major problem, just take your time.

Return to “Bluetooth Phonebook App”