Samsung Galaxy SIII mini I8190

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII mini I8190

Post by admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm

After I get the HTC One S running (or give up...) I'll buy a phone and try to fix it.

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Thx, good luck.

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Happy New Year to all,

due to another thread I found I have changed the network mode from automatic to "only GSM" which seems working. After leaving the car I could dial some phone numbers without any problems. The only difference I noticed is that on the top left the phone icon was missing but dialing a number worked.
Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am

For unknown reason the S III mini does only accept GSM communication over rSAP (like the Galaxy W). As far as I understand this is fine for making phone calls, but maybe you get less data speed e.g. if you use the VW Premium modem. I could not yet measure that.

Now the (only newer?) VW Premium seems to have a bug that it does not detect the GSM mode correctly. It enters an endless loop where it tries to authenticate with the network. If you manually set the car phone to "GSM" it works.

What's puzzling me is that you no longer have problems to reconnect after rSAP connection, if you use "GSM mode" in the VW Premium phone... :shock:

EDIT: a user in Motor-Talk seems to have a similar problem (in German):
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/problem- ... 82555.html

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm

But I changed this setting in my S III mini and not in VW PFSE. Do you know if there is the same setting in the PFSE and where to find? Then I can try to change it vice versa and test it again. Before with the automatic setting in my S III mini all things worked fine with rSAP but after disconnecting from rSAP/car the phone couldn't dial in to the mobile network so I needed to reboot the phone.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Ah, now I understand. Fact is that the S III Mini does only support GSM mode over rSAP (like the Galaxy W). So perhaps it is the switching between GSM and USIM inside the Mini that doesn't work? That may explain why it works if you use GSM for rSAP and normal phone usage.

Can you check what happens if you leave the Mini in GSM mode, connect to car, disconnect, wait a few seconds until the Mini is properly working again and then switch it to 3G? That may be a fix for the problem. Perhaps simply switching between 3G and GSM fixes the problem instead of rebooting?

The phone mode in the VW Premium is set in the instrument cluster menu, something like settings/phone settings/network mode. Maybe older Premiums don't have this setting. But I'd be suprised if the setting has any influence on the problem that the Mini does not return properly from rSAP to normal phone operation. It may help if you cannot get a network connection at all in rSAP mode.

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Here are my test results: Mini in fixed GSM mode -> automatic connect via rSAP to PFSE - worked -> dialed a number from PFSE/car - worked -> disconnected from car and dialed a number via Mini - worked -> switched Mini to automatic mode and dialed a number - not working -> switched back to GSM mode and dialed a number - not working -> phone need a reboot and everthing's fine again.

I couldn't find a setting in the PFSE to change the mode, there is only a setting called GPRS access points where I can choose letters whatever it means.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I guess the GSM mode setting is only available in the latest PFSE.

Can you please do two more tests: first check if switching between GSM and 3G works after phone reboot i.e. without an rSAP connection, and second if a reinstall of the system files fixes the state where only a reboot helps. What happens if you reinstall the system files after reboot of the phone? Does it get network access or stay disconnected?

Reinstalling the system files kills the RIL demon. I hope this resets the phone state.

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 pm

First test: after a phone reboot I can switch the network mode back and forth and can browse and use the phone in each mode.
For the second test shall I use the install/update option or first uninstall and afterwards do a fresh install? Can I use App V2.2.1a version?

triplehead

Post by triplehead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 am

Second test: connected to PFSE with phone in automatic network mode - everything worked -> disconnected from PFSE and tried a call - not registered to network -> used install/update system files option and tried a call - not registered to network (but phone icon was visible again on top left corner) -> uninstalled system files and tried a call - not registered to network -> installed system files and tried a call - not registered to network -> reboot - everything is working

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S III Mini I8190”