SMS Plugin

admin
Site Admin

SMS Plugin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Finally I release a test version of the long promised SMS plugin. It's just that I don't use SMS very much so it took such a looong time. I release it now because without it the generic HTC solution currently misses incoming SMS completely which is not nice.
SMSPlugin-0.9.1.apk
SMS Plugin 0.9.1
md5: ef155da792f9c993f39609fc958762dc
(25.82 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
Description
In SIM Access mode the car kit can only use the SMS stored on the SIM card and not the Android SMS database. This plugin intercepts all read and write operations to the SIM card and emulates the SIM SMS file using the Android SMS database. That means it transfers the entries from the Android SMS database to the car kit and also stores incoming SMS to the Android SMS database while SIM access is active.

Possible problems
Since I did not use the plugin very often there may be problems with de-/encoding some SMS. I tried my best to handle every possible encoding, but perhaps I missed something. That's why I currently dump every SMS PDU that's written to a file in folder .rsap. In case the plugin crashes you can recreate the SMS with an online PDU decoder (e.g. http://twit88.com/home/utility/sms-pdu-encode-decode). The SMS PDU starts at the 7th byte (usually 07). Please mail me the PDU so I can check what went wrong. Later I'll add an option to switch off the dump.

I did not yet find a car kit that saves outgoing SMS to the SIM card. If your car kit does this, the plugin may crash. Let me know if this happens. Of course let me know of any crashes...

If you have a lot of SMS on your phone the transfer may take a significant amount of time. I'll add parameters to tune the maximum number of SMS to be transferred, the number of storage to reserve for incoming SMS in a SIM access session etc.

luke7110

Re: SMS Plugin

Post by luke7110 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 pm

hello admin, I tested the plugin. Saving seems to work a bit, because it saved a received sms into android sms database, the problem is that it stored it into the wrong conversation, so I have the sms like it was written by someone else.
Sms reading doesn't seem to work very well because I can only get access to a few old sms of the database.

I have sgs3 4.1.2

luke7110

Post by luke7110 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm

sms pdu in .rsap folder seems good, the stored sender number is the good one. Why is it stored in the wrong thread when stored into the android database?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

I'll check that. As far as I remember there is a separate database field for the thread. Probably I'll have to fill that when storing an incoming SMS?

Since I don't use SMS very often, as I explained: Is someone interested in helping with development...?

luke7110

Post by luke7110 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

don't worry, I don't blame you! ;-)
I'd like to help, give me your mobile number and I'll send you so many sms that you'll be forced to use it :D

More seriously, the thread field should be the way to go

By the way, I have to check the behavior of long sms (over 160 characters). A sms with more than 160chars is split into multiple sms and merged back into 1 sms when received from the android phone. The VW premium normally doesn't merge the sms but it stores it into separate sms into the sim (maybe bcs of the storing limitation on the sim sms slots?). I asked a friend to send me a long message yesterday and it never showed up! I'll try again and keep you in touch

fastkrass

Post by fastkrass » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Vielen Dank für das Plugin :)
Habe es eben kurz getestet, und es funktionierte gut.. hoffentlich auch weiterhin.
(Audi A5 BT FSE mit rSAP Bluetooth Adapter, SGS2 4.0.3)

klik

Post by klik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am

Just tested it with Nexus 4 CM10.1 on Audi S3 8P with RSAP and it did not work. Not only I did not get any notification but when I looked for SIM card messages it was not there.

harp

4.4 compatibility

Post by harp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:14 pm

The SMS Plugin seems to stop working with 4.4.

Do you plan to release a fix for that?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Android 4.4 changed a lot regarding SMS. I'll check what I can do, but it may take some time...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:20 pm

The problem is that starting with Android 4.4 only the current SMS handler is able to write to the SMS database. This breaks the plugin :?

Return to “SMS Plugin”