Information about HTC Desire X (proto)

admin
Site Admin

Information about HTC Desire X (proto)

Post by admin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Remote SIM Access

The Desire X uses system files usually installed using a zip file and custom recovery (see below). These have the following issues:
  • Latest VW Premium must be set to GSM mode
  • SIM pin is ignored
Make sure you test with the trial version since I do not have much feedback from users!

How to root

The easiest solution seems to be http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1943822

a. Install HTC drivers, ..., Unlock bootloader
b. Flash recovery.
c. If you like choose "Perm Root" in "Extras" - you don't need it to install system files (see below)

Important: It seems the system partition cannot be set to writable on (all?) stock HTC kernel even when properly rooted. Use the zip files from the following post under "Alternate Installation" for installation/deinstallation of rSAP system files using the recovery software: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=666

martin467

Re: Information about HTC Desire X (proto)

Post by martin467 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:06 pm

After emailing HTC and acting on their reply and advice I bought a Desire X last week, with the primary purpose of using it with my Superb in rSAP profile. (I asked them to confirm it worked out of the box)
It doesnt work.

HTC are now saying they made a mistake and are washing thier hands of the fact I paid £209 for the phone and now can't use it with the car. They have said I can use 'other' softwre to make it work but this invalidates the warranty. They also suggested that the only phone HTC make that will work is the HTC HD2!

I've read numours threads on this site and I'm getting a little confussed with the situation as it seems I could doctor the X but it still doesnt give a perfect result.

Can anyone update me with the very latest position with the Desire X, it is v4.0.4 Sense 4.1 software 1.18.401.3 SDK 4.24, extention 403_1_GA_24, Kernel 3.0.21-g6c117313 root@abm028#1
I look forward to your help.
Martin

(I have a copy of my email conversation with HTC)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 pm

They surely made a mistake... That's what happens if you let people without knowledge do customer support. But they all do that.

The Desire X has two problems: first the installation is not as comfortable because HTC added a write protection to the system partition, so my installer app does not work. If your phone is not yet rooted this does not make a big difference, you may choose only to install the rSAP system files and can skip the installation of the "Superuser" app.

The second problem is that one user could not get it to work. I don't have a Desire X myself, so I don't know what's happening. So there is a chance that you do all this "adventurous rooting" stuff and end up with a phone that is still not connecting to your car.

I would consider to return the Desire X and take a phone that will run for sure, like the HTC One S, Galaxy S III Mini, etc.

martin467

Post by martin467 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi Admin

Thank you for your reply.

I took the phone back to CarPhoneWharehouse and they were fantastic.

Not only did I get a refund after I explained what had happened we tried some phones out of the box to see what would work.

Yes they all conected via the normal bluetooth system but none made the rSAP/Premium profile. (My E71 Nokia works great but is getting old)

I now have a HTC HD2 running Nexus One, Android 2.3.2, NexusHD2-Gingerbread v2.3 NAND.

I've run the rSAP installation and rSAP (trial) and I cannot get it to function in rSAP mode. It still says 'sim in normal mode'.

Obviously I'm halfway there, what have I missed and done wrong?

Any help greartfully received.

Martin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm

You chose a quite complicated replacement... Many HD2 ROMs have general problems with Bluetooth. Read here how to possibly fix them: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=347&start=20#p2525.

martin467

Post by martin467 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Admin

Many thanks for the help, I bought the phone second hand so I am on a very steep learning curve.

I've had a quick look at the article and if I've read it right I need to change some code. Next qustion is how? sorry, I will do some digging, once I get my head round this I will be able to fly solo!

other question, is ther a better Rom, if so help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

As far as I see it there is no easy solution. You'll indeed have a very steep learning curve. I don't know how valuable you consider your spare time, but I guess a used HTC One S or Samsung Galaxy S 1 or 2 would have been not much more expensive ;)

I don't know much about the HD2, only the problems from this board. The HD2 shares the fate of other old HTC phones (like the Desire) that it gets harder each time to port Android to it, because the proprietary system parts were made for ancient Android versions and usually no longer work in later versions. In the case of the HD2 there wasn't even an official Android at all. ROMs are only created if there is someone who really wants to keep his device and is able to spend a lot of time for the support, but if this ROM developer doesn't use Bluetooth himself it will most probably not work as smooth as it could.

Well, read this forum, search the Internet and first of all, learn how to recover a bricked phone in case your modifications don't work :ugeek:

martin467

Post by martin467 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi admin

Looks like a HTC One may be a better answer.

I did get so far this morning, I've managed to see the root files and alter the class values as per your earlier post.

It got as far as showing me that it was connected to the Skoda and the 'Sim' state, was, looking for Sim state.....

It all seemed to go downhill from there and when it did connect it was in normal mode. Oh well!

I've already learnt quite a bit and as a phone it is a good screen size, that was my second requirement.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated.

Martin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 am

Can you please create a "main" log and mail it to me?

Return to “HTC Desire X”