Galaxy S5 + Audi MMI 2G Connection Problems

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S IV
tinpushers

Galaxy S5 + Audi MMI 2G Connection Problems

Post by tinpushers » Wed May 28, 2014 5:06 pm

OK,

So I've had an S3 connected to my Audi MMI 2G High Prep for the last couple of years with the help of the RSAP app. I've now upgraded to an S5 and my problems have started all over again.

I can connect the S5 using rsap and the phone book connects with the help of the PBAP app however, after pairing, the MMI now reports no phone signal from the SIM (Signal indicator with a line through it)

I can still pair my old S3 with my new 4G sim and I have tried a different Sim from EE in the S5 with no luck. (The EE Sim pairs and works fine in my old S3 as well)

Assuming the native Samsung RSAP was at fault, I bit the bullet and rooted the S5 in order to install the rSAP App but with no luck, the Sim and MMI still pair but still report no Signal when connected.

I have created HCI logs for the successful pairing with the S3 and failed pairing with the S5, If anyone can shed any light on the problem I would be very grateful as I've run out of ideas.

http://tinpushers.homeserver.com:82/S5_HCI.txt

http://tinpushers.homeserver.com:82/S3_HCI.txt

Other areas I have explored are

Turning the Sim Card PIN lock on/off
Restricting the phone to 2G GSM connections only
Resetting the MMI back to factory defaults

It's worth noting that I did have some success immediately after a successful pairing between the S3 and the MMI,I returned my Sim card to the S5 and re-paired. The connection worked fine and reported a signal for about 10 seconds and then died again Grrrrrrrrr..

Andyman10

Re: Galaxy S5 + Audi MMI 2G Connection Problems

Post by Andyman10 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi,

I' haven't been through decoding the logs to the RSAP protocol but one obvious difference is that the S5 is returning hugely bigger fields (for phonebook entries I think) whereas the S3 is returning SIM storage sized ones. This may be causing some kind of overflow in the head end and the socket closes causing the failure.

I can't try it because I don't have an S5 but have you tried setting the 'contacts to display' on your S5 to SIM only. It's possible that then it will use SIM sized fields, not internal contacts sized ones, to send contact entries..be interesting to see the result.
I guess you have a few contacts stored on the SIM?

Incidentally I don't think you need any special apps on the S3 to make it work with Audi MMI..I've been using it native for years.

tinpushers

Post by tinpushers » Thu May 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks for your reply,

I noticed the huge fields that were being returned but wasn't sure what they related to,

In response to your suggestions, I limited the S5 to only display contacts stored on the sim (I have copied 1 across for test purposes). I reset the MMI to defaults and re-paired. The same problem exists and all of my contacts copied across so I guess that the display contacts setting only relates to the phone and not what is sent via the SAP protocol.

I did try stopping sending any contacts by removing the ticks from the PBAP App, this worked in as much as no contact data was sent but the same problem exists.

What I can't figure out is whether there is no phone signal (unlikely) or that the phone is blocking full access to the sim somehow. On a seperate issue, even using apps from Google Play, It's not possible to write any data to the Sim Card in my S5. I have tested this with sims from O2 and EE. I simply get the message "the Sim card is locked or full"

When I connect using the Samsung native RSAP I get a message box asking if I want to share the sim and associated contact data which I accept. When I use the rSAP app I don't get this message. Either way, the same problem occurs and the phone seems to block access to the Sim.

With regards to the S3, the native RSAP never worked for me, disconnecting whenever I received a text message. The phone book would also not transfer with the native Samsung RSAP. It took the two apps from this site to get things working properly. However, I guess I didn't learn my lesson with Samsung and now I have still more problems.

The Audi MMI 2G is running the latest firmware v5570.

HCI log for connection with S5 restricted to showing only sim card contacts is below. I'm not fully conversant with the HCI logs but Is this not the log for the RSAP connection only, I thought that the PBAP app generated it's own separate logs ?)

http://tinpushers.homeserver.com:82/S5_HCI_v2.txt

cheers

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 30, 2014 1:59 pm

I checked the logs and there is nothing unusual, except it always disconnects while transferring SMS & SIM contacts. It's not always stopping at the same point, so I guess the problem is outside of rSAP. If you create a HCI log I may be able to find out what is causing the abort - the log in your last post was also a "main" log from the rSAP app. If my logger app is not able to create a log file, please try the "HCI snoop" option in the Android developer settings. Instead of posting here you may also mail the log to admin at ...

Andyman10

Post by Andyman10 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:20 pm

tinpushers wrote:Thanks for your reply,

I noticed the huge fields that were being returned but wasn't sure what they related to,

In response to your suggestions, I limited the S5 to only display contacts stored on the sim (I have copied 1 across for test purposes). I reset the MMI to defaults and re-paired. The same problem exists and all of my contacts copied across so I guess that the display contacts setting only relates to the phone and not what is sent via the SAP protocol.

I did try stopping sending any contacts by removing the ticks from the PBAP App, this worked in as much as no contact data was sent but the same problem exists.

What I can't figure out is whether there is no phone signal (unlikely) or that the phone is blocking full access to the sim somehow. On a seperate issue, even using apps from Google Play, It's not possible to write any data to the Sim Card in my S5. I have tested this with sims from O2 and EE. I simply get the message "the Sim card is locked or full"

When I connect using the Samsung native RSAP I get a message box asking if I want to share the sim and associated contact data which I accept. When I use the rSAP app I don't get this message. Either way, the same problem occurs and the phone seems to block access to the Sim.

With regards to the S3, the native RSAP never worked for me, disconnecting whenever I received a text message. The phone book would also not transfer with the native Samsung RSAP. It took the two apps from this site to get things working properly. However, I guess I didn't learn my lesson with Samsung and now I have still more problems.

The Audi MMI 2G is running the latest firmware v5570.

HCI log for connection with S5 restricted to showing only sim card contacts is below. I'm not fully conversant with the HCI logs but Is this not the log for the RSAP connection only, I thought that the PBAP app generated it's own separate logs ?)

http://tinpushers.homeserver.com:82/S5_HCI_v2.txt

cheers
A quick rough count-up of data frames flowing from the phone to the MMI shows a huge amount of mostly blank data!

I wonder if the problem is that the MMI doesn't have the storage to cope with this, either possibly per record for the large 160 bytes + messages individually or in total. You do wonder though why the phone is returning scores of null phonebook entries/text messages via the large 'FF' padded fields. Surely if it realises a contact/message store is all blank and not being used it should return a null or even an error response for the 'get next record' request that the MMI is making.

Just a thought..but have you put the SIM directly into the MMI SIM slot and used directory services to copy the address book over? I'm just wondering if it would create it correctly internally without the bluetooth link.which would remove bluetooth errors from the equation ...and if it did whether it would then ignore null entries for the same SIM received over the RSAP link. In effect would it create a correct internal list which might then make further bluetooth transfers of the same data work as it would presumably just ignore any duplicate contact entries?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 30, 2014 10:26 pm

This is how data from a SIM cards is read :roll:
You don't have any information which storage for phonebook or text messages on the SIM is used, you have to read them all. And this is done always, I've never seen an rSAP session without phonebook and SMS transfer, and it usually causes no problem.

But maybe you are right and the MMI memory is exausted. Perhaps a factory reset of the MMI helps?

Andyman10

Post by Andyman10 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:13 am

Does the SAP spec then just imply that all memory on the SIM is transferred regardless of whether that memory contains valid records or not? The spec seem vague to say the least (or at least the one I've looked at does!) but usually a 'get next record function' as I understand it would return a null or error if the next record doesn't actually exist...though I can't see any mention of this. The MMI operation manual states that phone book transfers may take a long time if there are many phone numbers, implying that phone book entries are discrete and only transferred if they exist.

I'm also curious as to why SIM records transferred are so long, as generally I thought you were limited to relatively small fields for name and phone number on a SIM card..? Are the long messages phone book entries or simply unused text message space?

All in all the spec for interaction between server and client seems very vague! I wonder if when you start to read blank records from the SIM the server should then return a null or error code as it seems likely that SIM capacity might continue to expand but the head end systems of course may well not keep up, as auto manufacturers of course take way longer than phone developers to update equipment.

Is it possible that they intended that null records would not be transferred, i.e. skipped or the reading of one would end the transfer?

tinpushers

Post by tinpushers » Sat May 31, 2014 9:18 am

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your help,

In response to a couple of points raised here....

firstly..
Postby admin » Fri May 30, 2014 12:59 pm
I checked the logs and there is nothing unusual, except it always disconnects while transferring SMS & SIM contacts. It's not always stopping at the same point, so I guess the problem is outside of rSAP.
This is because I have manually disconnected after the connection has established. I have to end the log somewhere ! To confirm, there is no problem connecting the phone using RSAP and it will stay connected for a long as I like, It will sync the phone book perfectly and transfer all contacts. The problem is that the car is either reporting no signal or sim card locked (I can't figure out which as the documentation is not that good). See the image below

next...
Postby Andyman10 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:20 pm
Just a thought..but have you put the SIM directly into the MMI SIM slot and used directory services to copy the address book over?
To the best of my knowledge I don't have a sim slot on the MMI. The car is a 2007 Audi Allroad with MMI 2G. The directory and the Phone Book are two separate headings within the MMI. I could copy all the phone contacts to the Directory of the MMI but this is a static memory and does not update with subsequent Bluetooth connections. The Phone Book entry is a dynamic directory which updates each time the phone is connected.

now...

For this next test, I deleted all my contacts from my phone, I also deleted the 1 test contact I had on the Sim Card. I reset the MMI. There are two types of reset on the MMI. One is a CTRL+ALT+DEL type reset which reboots the MMI but does not delete any data. The second is resetting the phone settings back to default which I do before each test to avoid any legacy issues.

I have now created 3 test contacts (If I'm going to share my BT snoop file I don't want to publish private data). These contacts are all saved to the phone memory (Not synced with a Google account as I would normally do). I've reset the MMI and created a new pairing. The results are posted below.

the BT Capture file...

http://tinpushers.homeserver.com:82/S5_HCI_BT.zip

and the screen shot....

The results are the same as I have achieved each time I try to pair. The phone pairs OK, The contacts transfer OK but the phone reports connection error if I try to make a call.

Any suggestions are welcome

thanks all

Andyman10

Post by Andyman10 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:42 am

>Tinpushers

Sorry if there's any confusion here :-). The log you posted seemed to show an abrupt abort of the connection between the phone and the MMI during record transfer:

05-28 15:30:42.926 I/BluetoothRSAPClient( 5272): disconnected
05-28 15:30:42.936 E/BluetoothRSAPClient( 5272): java.io.IOException: read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret: -1

..which is something many others have reported happening with both 2G and 3G MMI units with the S4/S5.

So was this manually done by you at the MMI or phone end?

And of course the title was 2G MMI and it's only the 3G I think that has a 'in-dash' SIM socket, so sorry for the distraction there.

tinpushers

Post by tinpushers » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 am

Andyman10

The disconnect at the end is almost certainly caused by me switching the ignition off after getting bored !

The phone would stay in the state shown in the screenshots until I initiate a disconnect. If it helps I can record a log with the connection running for longer but I tend to just wait until the phonebook has synced and then disconnect assuming that all relevant data has been captured.

thanks

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S IV I9505”