Just to share my experience, I got the phone from O2 UK and as Mgoliveruk found firmware MDD causes constant disconnects, sometimes in moments, other times after a longer period but the connection is unreliable. My suspicion is that this occurs when cell signal is lost but that's just a gut feel guess. As a result I looked into updating the firmware and found that O2 only provide MDD.voipman wrote:I looked on Samsung-updates.com but for O2 it only has the DD version. I presume you can't just use any firmware can you?
After looking into things some more I figured I'd try updating to a Stock Samsung firmware (MDM) to see if that would fix things, and so far so good, on the journey into work this morning connection was solid the whole way. So for reference I followed this process:
- Note: This is at your own risk and I'm not responsible for any damage etc.
- * Edit: Apparently the unlock is optional, although I got it done.* Get the phone factory unlocked, i.e. so that it can use any SIM (not sure if this is 100% required but I did it anyway). Various ways to do this, Google is your friend. This is different to "rooting" your phone, there is no need to root it unless you want to.
- Download the I9505XXUAMDM - BTU region of the firmware from samsung-updates.com. BTU is the generic non provider specific UK Samsung firmware. (Obviously if you aren't UK based you might need a different one, for example I think Germany is DBT).
- Once you have this file follow the steps that I used here on the XDA Developers forum. With Odin, the bundle I downloaded had a few versions I used 3.04 as I believe this to be the best one for this purpose, can't remember where I read that though.
- For completeness I did a factory reset after successfully getting the generic firmware installed, not sure if this is 100% required but probably safest and is recommended in the instructions.
- Note: This is still at your own risk and I'm still not responsible for any damage etc.