Samsung S4 connection drops with Audi Connect

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S IV
Shrek

Re: Samsung S4 connection drops with Audi Connect

Post by Shrek » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm

voipman wrote:I looked on Samsung-updates.com but for O2 it only has the DD version. I presume you can't just use any firmware can you?
Just to share my experience, I got the phone from O2 UK and as Mgoliveruk found firmware MDD causes constant disconnects, sometimes in moments, other times after a longer period but the connection is unreliable. My suspicion is that this occurs when cell signal is lost but that's just a gut feel guess. As a result I looked into updating the firmware and found that O2 only provide MDD. :(

After looking into things some more I figured I'd try updating to a Stock Samsung firmware (MDM) to see if that would fix things, and so far so good, on the journey into work this morning connection was solid the whole way. So for reference I followed this process:
  • Note: This is at your own risk and I'm not responsible for any damage etc. :)
  • * Edit: Apparently the unlock is optional, although I got it done.* Get the phone factory unlocked, i.e. so that it can use any SIM (not sure if this is 100% required but I did it anyway). Various ways to do this, Google is your friend. :) This is different to "rooting" your phone, there is no need to root it unless you want to.
  • Download the I9505XXUAMDM - BTU region of the firmware from samsung-updates.com. BTU is the generic non provider specific UK Samsung firmware. (Obviously if you aren't UK based you might need a different one, for example I think Germany is DBT).
  • Once you have this file follow the steps that I used here on the XDA Developers forum. With Odin, the bundle I downloaded had a few versions I used 3.04 as I believe this to be the best one for this purpose, can't remember where I read that though.
  • For completeness I did a factory reset after successfully getting the generic firmware installed, not sure if this is 100% required but probably safest and is recommended in the instructions.
  • Note: This is still at your own risk and I'm still not responsible for any damage etc. :)
So, hopefully that helps anyone struggling with O2 specific firmware. I believe (but don't quote me!) that if you need any warranty work the factory network unlock does not void the warranty, and you can flash it back to the O2 specific firmware (MDD - O2U region) if you need to using this process. I guess if the phone is dead and you can't flash they'd just replace the phone anyway?
Last edited by Shrek on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toomuchpudding

Post by toomuchpudding » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Shrek - thanks for really helpful post! Before I try this with my o2 s4 (I'm on a steep learning curve here) - can I check if it is all still working?

Shrek

Post by Shrek » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am

toomuchpudding wrote:Hi Shrek - thanks for really helpful post! Before I try this with my o2 s4 (I'm on a steep learning curve here) - can I check if it is all still working?
Hi, yes, everything is still working a treat for me so far. Good luck! :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 am

Shrek wrote:
voipman wrote:Get the phone factory unlocked, i.e. so that it can use any SIM (not sure if this is 100% required but I did it anyway). Various ways to do this, Google is your friend. :) This is different to "rooting" your phone, there is no need to root it unless you want to.
I don't think it is necessary to unlock the phone before flashing a new firmware with Odin.

toomuchpudding

Post by toomuchpudding » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Well that worked perfectly! I thought I was going mad :shock: . Unlock isn't necessary, but why not do it anyway? o2 unlock free if pay monthly. Many, many thanks to Shrek!!!

Shrek

Post by Shrek » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm

admin wrote:
Shrek wrote:
voipman wrote:Get the phone factory unlocked, i.e. so that it can use any SIM (not sure if this is 100% required but I did it anyway). Various ways to do this, Google is your friend. :) This is different to "rooting" your phone, there is no need to root it unless you want to.
I don't think it is necessary to unlock the phone before flashing a new firmware with Odin.
Thanks for the clarification, I've edited my original post to reflect it is optional.
toomuchpudding wrote:Well that worked perfectly! I thought I was going mad :shock: . Unlock isn't necessary, but why not do it anyway? o2 unlock free if pay monthly. Many, many thanks to Shrek!!!
Glad it worked for someone else too! :)

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S IV I9505”