TomTom Go Live 825 sat-nav cannot retrieve phonebook

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the Samsung Galaxy S IV
ItsMeDammit

TomTom Go Live 825 sat-nav cannot retrieve phonebook

Post by ItsMeDammit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or advice on this one.

I have just retired my HTC Desire and discovered that the hands free kit provided by my sat-nav can no longer access my address book on my S4. It paired OK and works as a hands free kit, but never attempted to get the phonebook (something of a problem).

Having now installed the Bluetooth Phonebook app, there is some improvement but the retrieval still fails. Now my TomTom says "Retrieving phonebook from mobile phone" but never completes it (nothing is obtained). The first time my sat-nav connected, my phone put up a warning advising me that the TomTom was trying to initiate a MAPS request (I think I remembered that correctly) in order to read my messages which I allowed permanently, and the status page of the phonebook app shows the TomTom as having connected to the IrMC service.

I see the app can create a log, but I can not readily find it otherwise I would post it here.

Any thoughts on the matter would be gratefully received.

admin
Site Admin

Re: TomTom Go Live 825 sat-nav cannot retrieve phonebook

Post by admin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 pm

The logs are stored in folder ".rsap" in the SD card/USB storage directory. Sadly the Samsung file manager and the USB driver hide this directory. You may use a different file manager, like OI, ES or Explorer. Don't post them here but mail them to me.

It looks like Samsung messed up the Message Access Profile (MAP), too. Maybe you should redo the Bluetooth pairing and don't allow message access.

It's also strange that the Desire was able to transfer the phonebook, but my app now uses IrMC. Did you also use my app on the Desire? If not PBAP should be used.

ItsMeDammit

Post by ItsMeDammit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Thank you for your support and quick response to my inquiry. I see there is a thread over at TomTom now concerning the S4 not working properly when it comes to transferring the phone book, so if we can get this working it might do wonders for your ranking in the Play store !

I have now extracted the logs off my phone, and will send these over to you shortly. The second one is the result of re-pairing, however the request to recover messages was not immediate the first time and didn't show itself in the short time I had with it this morning, but I will try it again tonight and send you a new log if it is of any use to you.

With regards to working with my HTC Desire, it may assist you if you knew the history of it. In the few months I was using it with my TomTom before upgrading to the S4, it was not running the original version of Android it shipped with. I took delivery of it running Eclair, then I got the OTA upgrade to Froyo from HTC. Because of a number of changes and omissions to the original shipping product required to get Gingerbread in, HTC did not offer that as an OTA upgrade but did offer it on their website's developer's pages. Therefore figuratively speaking I expect there are not many Desire's out there running Gingerbread, and I cannot say if the phone book transfer ever worked to the Go Live 825 before that.

Please let me know if I can offer you any more assistance in getting this to work.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 pm

I checked your logs and it seems the TomTom sends some data that my app rejects. I sent you a modified version of my app, please check if it works now. If not please e-mail me another log.

ItsMeDammit

Post by ItsMeDammit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 am

Thank you for the updated file.

My sat-nav now says "Retrieving phonebook from mobile phone" 3 times before apparently giving up. It did that once before the update, if that helps.

I will email you the latest log as requested.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm

It looks like the TomTom expects a different profile than the IrMC, namely SyncML. I don't know why it chooses the IrMC "port". I sent you a modified app that happily accepts the SyncML request, but the TomTom obviously expects something more and quits. I don't know what I can do about this. I don't have a TomTom, so I cannot try to implement the expected profile.

ItsMeDammit

Post by ItsMeDammit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 am

No problem, I understand how difficult it is when you only have access to half the problem. If I was in a position to donate a sat-nav to the cause, I would !

Thank you for your efforts and support - if you have no objection I will direct TomTom to this thread as it might help them improve compatibility, although by the sound of it I need to be expecting more from Samsung too. I will see if I can open a support ticket with them as well.

Thanks again.

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S IV I9505”