It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

rSAP for Android Forum

Support forum for Android rSAP App

Samsung A5 2016 RSAP breaks after 6.0.1 Security update

Samsung A5 2016 RSAP breaks after 6.0.1 Security update

Post by fronty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Had my shiny new Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 turn up yesterday, it came with Android 6.0.1 and paired with my car no problem, all working well with native RSAP support, no app needed.

Then it started prompting me that a security update was available, I foolishly installed it, now the phone will not pair with my car. I can pair it and enter the passcode, then it says "no compatible phone found." You can see "remote SIM mode activate" pop up on the phone but after 1-2 seconds it then says "remote SIM mode deactivated".

This is really frustrating! The phone says it is running Android security patch level "1 November 2016". Checking the security bulletin here https://source.android.com/security/bul ... 11-01.html it does look like a couple of Bluetooth vulnerabilities have been patched, I wonder if these have affect the RSAP feature.

I enabled HCI snooping and saw some errors about maximum message size not supported, maybe this is the problem? Log file attached.

Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments
btsnoop_hci.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Re: Samsung A5 2016 RSAP breaks after 6.0.1 Security update

Post by mogli_seb » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Just confirming the existence of that exact same problem with my brand new A5. Good to know that it worked before that security update. :cry: Let's hope this gets fixed with the next security fix again. Will report the problem to Samsung.

Post by admin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Indeed the phone complains about a too large maximum message size, makes a suggestion about an accepted maximum message size, but rejects that as well. In the background the connection seems to work fine, but the error messages cause the car to finally abort. I'd guess the complaint about the message size is simply a bug in Samsung's rSAP implementation. Strange that this still happens...

You should try to complain about this bug so Samsungs learns that there is an issue and hopefully fixes it fast.

Post by mojmirm » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello all, I encountered the same issue after my A5 automatically installed Android upgrade. The Android security patch level is dated 1 December 2016. I suspect this is indeed some security limitation because the phone pairs with the car kit fast and easy but disconnects in a second with "Remote SIM mode deactivated". I had a call with Samsung official service and they told me they are unable to downgrade the software (rollback the faulty upgrade). Ie. replace phone or car...:(
Any progress anyone? Any workaround identified by anyone? I do not like to be forced to root a new phone by its manufacturer like this:)

Post by admin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm

You cannot fix the problem without root and my app. I don't think it's a "security limitation" it more looks like a simple plain bug. It's not the first time this happens with Samsung phones :roll:

Make sure to tell Samsung about the problem and hope that they release a fix soon. The more people complain the faster this should happen!

Post by fronty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Just an update here, after suffering a few months with this "bug" a new security update was rolled out that fixed it. So if you have given up on the phone, power it up and let it install the latest update and you should be okay.

FYI my Samsung A5 (2016) upgraded to Android 7 Nougat yesterday and it still connects via rSAP with no problem, no app needed.

Post by admin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info!

Return to Other Samsung Phones