LG Nexus 5X

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the LG Nexus 5X
fents

LG Nexus 5X

Post by fents » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:21 pm

I have just managed to get my hands on a LG Nexus 5X 32GB in Ice a few days eariler than I should have been able to.

I can confirm some good and bad news;

Good News: It does indeed support RSAP out of the box (At least with my VW CC). The phone also seems to think that it still has a working data connection when connected to the car?

Bad News: It seems a little buggy e.g. Would get stuck on intialising until I deleted my old Nexus 5 user profile on the car (Think it may have been because the names were too simular). Also even when you turn the car off and get out the phone thinks it is still connected to the car until you restart it. These bugs may be down to the car rather than the phone and will hopefully get sorted soon with updates.

Please note I have only had the phone for less than an hour so am still playing with it but it does seem a nice peice of kit.

admin
Site Admin

Re: LG Nexus 5X

Post by admin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Nice! Google finally discovered rSAP! That explains why it showed up in the Nexus 5 in the first Marshmallow preview.

You should rather hope that a phone update fixes the problem, because car updates are even less likely :lol:

Do you know the official release date?

fents

Post by fents » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Think the official release date in the UK is the 22nd but would not put my life on it. I only got it because someone in a warehouse messed up and sent 2 to a local store, a 16GB and a 32GB (I live in the back arse-end of nowhere) by mistake as these people have the exclusive for the ICE colour over here, they must have been sent to them early. I just got lucky as I phoned the store rather then going through the website which said they did not have any and the guy did not relise they were not for sale yet. So I know there is a 16GB in ICE at the Carphone Warehouse in Frome, Somerset if anyone wants a long drive?

You never know as both the 5 and 5X are by LG maybe when Marshmallow is released for the 5 it will bring up RSAP with it?

Cant say there is too much diffrence on the surface between Lollipop and Marshmallow.

If I get bored latter I may try to put your RSAP onto it as it is better and see what happens, but there is something nice about having a non-rooted and messed about phone for a change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:40 pm

My app will most probably not work on the Nexus 5X, even when you use the test installer app for 64 bit Qualcomm (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1598), because it needs to disable the built-in rSAP first. I'll have to check the system image to find out how to do that, but it's not yet available.

fents

Post by fents » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Never got around to trying to put your app on but after 24 hours can confirm the following for anyone who is interested;

The Nexus 5X does support rSAP out of the box but has a bug where it does not recognize the loss of the Bluetooth connection with the car when you turn the car off. While the phone will reconnect to the network automatically it will not reconnect to the car until you have cycled Bluetooth on and off. It is not a major problem, just annoying and I imagine an easy to fix for Google or LG. The phone book also loads fine without issue.

Other points on the phone are the Fingerprint sensor works really well and quickly but oddly gets hot when the phone is working hard. Other than that it is a worthy successor to the original Nexus 5. Just a shame it has lost Wireless charging and the USB-C cable it comes with is really short and no shops seem to sell them yet.

fents

Post by fents » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Also have noticed the 5X has had all casting support apart from Chromecast removed so no more Miracast or Intel Wireless Display which is annoying if you have a Smart TV.

langers2k

Post by langers2k » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:05 pm

My 5X arrived today (UK preorder from play) and I can confirm that I also get exactly the same behaviour.

Works out of the box but on leaving the car the BT connection appears to stay active until it's BT has been cycled. Any suggestions for a more automatic work around?

Edit: added an issue to google's bugtracker: https://code.google.com/p/android/issue ... ?id=191018

fents

Post by fents » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:28 pm

It gets even more annoying, on mine if you forget to cycle Bluetooth and try to reconnect, most of the time you then have to restart the phone and car before it will work again????

Also found if someone sends you an SMS when connected to the car you get it and can read it but following a disconnect all SMS's on the car are gone.

Fair to say they have a few bugs left to sort, maybe they should just buy the rights for your app. Even 5 cents or pence per phone must eventualy add up.

langers2k

Post by langers2k » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 am

I've not had to reset the car side of things yet, only toggle bluetooth.

I've just installed 'Trigger' as in it's free version it can cycle the bluetooth on bluetooth disconnect. It seemed to work OK this morning but time will tell if it's useful or not.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:33 pm

rSAP and SMS is another problem. Cars usually store the SMS on the SIM card and/or in their internal memory, Android stores them only in the internal memory of the SMS handler app. Once apon a time when all devices used the SIM card everything went fine. Now it's a mess...

I guess the Google guys will fix the bugs soon. The new Porsche 911 has the rSAP capable phone module as a standard feature :lol:
Although it is missing "Android Auto" :(

Return to “LG/Google Nexus 5X”