It worked once!

Discussions about running the rSAP app on the HTC Desire Z
Code3VW

It worked once!

Post by Code3VW » Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 am

I have a T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire Z) and the 9WZ bluetooth for my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (Golf Variant).

I installed Update 4 for the system files. I then installed rSAP Trial 0.9.1. Everything worked great!

Then I decided I'd like to thank you for your app, so I purchased rSAP 0.9. It installed, and had me uninstall the Trial. Since then, I have NOT been able to get rSAP to connect. I can connect with bluetooth, and even though I can make calls, scroll the address book, etc. using the bluetooth, the rSAP program says NOT CONNECTED.

I thought to myself, maybe the Trial is a newer version than the Paid version...I mean, the trial is 0.9.1 and the paid is 0.9, maybe that is the issue...so I uninstalled the paid version, reinstalled the trial, and still no luck...

My phone connects, but rSAP does nothing! I even rebooted into recovery and reloaded the Update 4 system files, but still no rSAP...

What happened??

Code3VW

Re: It worked once!

Post by Code3VW » Sun May 08, 2011 1:54 am

Also, I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.0.2 and superuser was checked and is accepting requets f.rom rSAP.

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 am

Maybe your pairing is messed up. Try to delete your pairing on both devices and try it again. I also switched from the trial to the pay version, and everything worked just like before.

On an earlier version I had the problem that my Skoda Premium BT unit denied my phone, because it was not compatible. That was caused by a delay on loading the rSAP app and in the meantime I forced the car unit to connect to my phone. After that the pairing was messed up (I suspect the car unit has somehow made the pairing invalid on it's side) and I had to start at the beginning by deleting the pairing. Maybe something like that has happened to you?

You also have a 2010 version car, and I think the hardware Skoda uses is identical to what VW uses. Same hardware, same bugs ;)
- - - -
Thanks for the DUN plugin, you are the best!

Code3VW

Post by Code3VW » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 am

Well, I reinstalled the paid version, restarted the phone, turned the car off for about 2 hours, and tried it again and it paired up no problem...I guess it just needed time to think! :)

One weird thing that I'm experiencing is that not all of my contacts are transferring over to the car, any contact with an email address (as well as a phone number, obviously) is not transferring...

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Sun May 08, 2011 4:29 am

My contacts do work fine, but I don't have any pictures in them.
You forced the car unit to transfer a new phonebook or did you just reconnect and wait?

I have to force my radio ( depends on your radio whether you have to initiate it at the MFD or the radio) to update the phonebook to see new contacts/changes, if I want to see them right now. The automatic update takes some time and I don't know how long you have to wait until it is triggered.
- - - -

Code3VW

Post by Code3VW » Sun May 08, 2011 4:33 am

eddie_f wrote:My contacts do work fine, but I don't have any pictures in them.
You forced the car unit to transfer a new phonebook or did you just reconnect and wait?

I have to force my radio ( depends on your radio whether you have to initiate it at the MFD or the radio) to update the phonebook to see new contacts/changes, if I want to see them right now. The automatic update takes some time and I don't know how long you have to wait until it is triggered.
Well, at first I thought it was one with pictures, so I deleted the email address off of one, updated the phone using the MFD (display in the cluster) and then that contact showed up. Any contacts that have email addresses don't show up though...

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Sun May 08, 2011 4:44 am

Ok then the problem may be within the used ROM. Since PBAP is part of the BT software in your ROM this may be a bug with the implementation. I had a problem with umlauts in the previous rooted stock ROM, but that is gone now with the latest software for my DZ.

I can't say that for sure, it needs more investigation, whether it is caused by Android or the car units ;)
- - - -

Code3VW

Post by Code3VW » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 am

eddie_f wrote:Ok then the problem may be within the used ROM. Since PBAP is part of the BT software in your ROM this may be a bug with the implementation. I had a problem with umlauts in the previous rooted stock ROM, but that is gone now with the latest software for my DZ.

I can't say that for sure, it needs more investigation, whether it is caused by Android or the car units ;)
Well, it worked with the older 9W7 bluetooth module and no rSAP...with the new 9WZ and rSAP I have no contacts with email addresses...so either it is the way rSAP interacts with the PBAP (if at all) or it is the bluetooth module...

eddie_f

Post by eddie_f » Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

The VW rSAP only module (Nokia Hardware if I'm not mistaken) is older than the other BT modules from VW. The 9WZ sounds like the rSAP only and not the combo module than can do both, handsfree and rSAP. AFAIK the combo module is only available in 2011/12 cars.

I couldn't get one for my Superb, because it is not supported. It's the better hardware with more stable and faster internet connection when rSAP is in use. There are many posts about the funtionality of the BT modules on Skoda forums and most people complain about the rSAP only module not always doing what it should do...

Btw: have you tried to get the GPRS modem up and running that is available in your car when your phone is connected to the BT unit? I haven't found a way to access the modem so far.
- - - -

Code3VW

Post by Code3VW » Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 am

I have the newest revision of the 9WZ that allows rSAP or HFP for phones that don't support this. Essentially it is a 9WZ and 9W7 in one...the model number is 5K0 035 730 D.

After reading the FAQ, I see there are some issues with contacts transferring. I'm going to see about loading the contacts to the sim.

Here is one issue I have though...when the phone is paired with the car, I have ZERO connectivity on the phone (no voice or data). This means that as long as I'm driving, I don't get google talk messages or emails (text messages go to the radio using the 9WZ). Is this normal? Is this what the GPRS modem would allow? If I go into the settings on the phone, airplane mode is checked, and I can't uncheck it...how do I get both the rSAP working, and the phone data still enabled??

Here is what it SHOULD look like when data is still enabled:

But mine doesn't have 3G :(

Return to “HTC Desire Z”