Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 (model: SM-A510F)

freesailor

Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 (model: SM-A510F)

Post by freesailor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 am

I own a brand new Samsung A5 (2016), i.e. the new A5 model, with Android 6.0.1 just factory installed.

Without using the Android rSAP App I haven't be able to connect it to my Volkswagen Premium phone car kit (coupled to a RNS 510 navigation system), it says there is "no compatible phone" around (of course Bluetooth is activated on A5 and it's working, since it's visible to other devices such as PCs and other phones).
On the contrary I've briefly tested a Volkswagen dealer's Samsung S6 on the same Premium car kit, using the standard BT (no App), and it has been detected after a few seconds, just like my old Nokia C5-00 did.
So my Premium kit (a 2011 specimen) does work perfectly, as it always did with my old Nokia, but doesn't detect the new A5.

BTW, its seems there is no option to explicitely activate rSAP on A5, but the same is on S6, just activating BT.

The old Samsung A5 (2015), model A500FU, is declared rSAP compatible with Premium kit/RNS 510, even from the Volkswagen compatibility page ( http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotai ... .html#tab2 , look at Passat bis 2014/RNS 510 ).
So I'm wondering if the 2106 model is really rSAP compatible when just stock (specs would say YES because BT SAP profile is supported).
Maybe the very new Android 6.0.1 did some mess into the Samsung rSAP implementation in A5 2016?

If the stock and unrooted A5 doesn't work, it's very likely I'll root it and install the app (breaking the warranty) but I'd be glad to know in advance if rSAP App work on it.

Have someone managed to connect an A5 (2016) to a VW Premium kit, as stock, i.e. without using the App?
And have someone managed to connect an A5 (2016) to a VW Premium kit using the App?

Thanks.

EDIT:
doing some tests on my PC with Nirsoft's BluetoothView freeware tool ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluetooth_viewer.html ) I found that A5 give a lot of "no detection" to other BT devices after a few dozen of seconds fron BT activation on the phone.
On the contrary, at the same time my old Nokia C5-00 is detected 100% of times by the BT tool on PC.
Going on with tests, I found that if I leave the phone on the BT setting screen (the one with the list of nearby BT devices found) AND the screen is active (illuminated), the phone is detected BUT when screen darkens after its timeout the phone is no more detected.
So it could be a BT faulty implementation in Samsung's or Google Marshmallow's BT, at least on this phone model.

I don't think it's an hardware problem in my specimen, it seems to me more likely a software problem, since it's depends from screens activations/timeout and BT antenna is working well until screen darkens.
I'll try to make a car kit connection that way, but max screen darkening timeout is just 10 minutes and I don't know any way to fully disable the darkening.

I'm interested to share experiences on that too.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 (model: SM-A510F)

Post by admin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:24 am

I guess it is no fault if the phone gets Bluetooth "invisible" as soon as the screen goes off. In later Android versions the phone is Bluetooth "visible" exactly when you are in the Bluetooth settings screen. Bluetooth visibility is only important before the devices are paired.

You can do one more check: In the developer menu in Android settings (tap 7 times on build number to enable it) you can check the list of running services. On my S6 there is a "SapService" running in the Bluetooth process ("Bluetooth Freigabe" in German). A service with a similar name should be running on your phone. So far I never saw a phone where you could disable a Bluetooth service with a setting, so when you don't have such a service, it looks like Samsung simply removed it from the firmware. This happened before...

If you install the rSAP trial version and run it, your car should detect the phone, even without root (the connection will abort after a while).

freesailor

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 (model: SM-A510F)

Post by freesailor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks Admin,
I checked my A5 and there is a running SAP Service.

Moreover and more important, I succeeded in coupling it with my Premium car kit. :)
I just left it on the Bluetooth setting screen while doing the pairing and doing so I managed to trigger detection and match devices.
I didn't know that Android BT detection visibility was just when being on BT setting screen!

So Galaxy A5 (2016) has been detected, is now registered on the car kit and, being that a thing of crucial importance!, it seems that the coupling is not lost when screen darkens, so I should have solved the issue.
I can made calls and phone book seems to be fully visible, although I had to do more checks.
Only thing, it seems that at the beginning I have to press the "connect phone" button on the car because it doesn't that automatically, but I have to check if it's just an elapsed time problem (maybe it's just slower than my old Nokia to being detected?).

I've installed, a couple of days ago, your App and it detected A5 2016 (recognizing it's not rooted).
I'll updated here info about my pairing after I'll do more extensive tests but I hope I won't need your App.
Anyhow I want to congratulate you for that. It seems a lot of people use it at least as the "last hope" and it's important to have an alternative to vendors' shortcomings.
Thanks again.

EDIT: I did more checks and trials and I found that the connection is now automatically carried out, without the need to explicitly push the connect phone option on the car.
The car kit automatically detects the previously paired A5 2016 and connect it, provided that BT is actvated on the phone (no more need to show the BT setting screen or to have the screen unlocked, at this stage).

So, the case is closed: you can successfully connect a stock Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 (with Android 6.0.1) to a Volkswagen Premium car kit thru rSAP (even to a 2011 and never upgraded car kit like mine).
So there is no need to use the Android rSAP App for this phone, because rSAP support is out-of-the-box.

Return to “Other Samsung Phones”