Galaxy S4

Discussions about PBAP
prprandall51

Galaxy S4

Post by prprandall51 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi, just joined to use the forum to post my phone-connection experiences. I will try to be brief:
Car: Mercedes Benz with Comand (MY2005) coupled to SAP unit V3.
Phone Galaxy S4 Active (Android 4.22).
SAP: The phone connects to the car correctly and reliably with standard Samsung SAP functionality.
Phonebook: The car cannot collect phonebook from phone. When the phonebook download is initiated, the car correctly disconnects SAP and then correctly attempts an alternative BT connection to access the phonebook. I thought this alternative connection would appear on the phone listed as PBAP but it is listed as "Call Audio (Use for phone audio)". No contacts are transferred and after a short while the car re-establishes the SAP connection, which works perfectly.
I also installed and tried the PBAP app from this site but that didn't change anything at all (tried with both allowing the car to access the phonebook and call history and also denying the car access to that information, as per the instructions).

Thanks
Philip

admin
Site Admin

Re: Galaxy S4

Post by admin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:22 am

First of all, the SAP V3 should support PBAP, the V2 does not. I don't understand why it stops the rSAP connection because both works well at the same time, but I never saw a SAP module "in action", so I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

Did you try the Bluetooth.apk or the phonebook app from Play Store?

prprandall51

Post by prprandall51 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. In answer to your post:
I am definitely using a V3 module. The behaviour I describe (module turns off the rSAP connection, establishes new connection using BPAP to download book and then re-establishes rSAP) is exactly how the module does work, according to other V3 module users.
I tried using the Bluetooth IrMC Phonebook TEST app from the Play store (after failing to connect using the inbuilt BPAP on the phone).

Many thanks
Philip

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:36 pm

The IrMC test app does not help with a Mercedes SAP, it does not support PBAP. Someday I'll have to create a test version for the "full" phonebook app...

You will have to test with the full version. If it does not work let me know.

prprandall51

Post by prprandall51 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi, an update. I purchased the full BPAP from the Android store and it worked immediately (without rSAP disconnecting). The phonebook loaded almost instantly (it isn't a big phonebook, but the load time was just a couple of seconds), along with the call registers.
The only thing is that each phonebook entry for a single contact (mobile, home, office) came across as a separate entity (e.g. Philip/M, Philip/H, Philip/O) instead of being a single entry with three phone options (which the MB phone system does support).

Anyway, even if I never crack that issue, I am very happy with the app. Thank you very much. I will report my results to the MB forum.

Philip

prprandall51

Post by prprandall51 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Actually, now that I look at the contacts that are transferred, only one of the three contacts (out of Home, Mobile, Business) is transferred per contact. This scenario exactly matches that described in a thread on the Phonebook App forum page. So I will go and join that thread.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=687&start=10.

Philip

pippy

Post by pippy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 pm

hi, Just join this forum:
my car is a 2009 tiguan with premium bluetooth system my experience is this:I used to have the S2 with android 2.3.5 it works perfectly with the system.Yesterday i got the S4 when i tried to link it up.I got the 16 digit code and asked for sim card access. Then it asked for the phonebook access permission. After I checked the box for phonebook access the car's phone system get initialization then disconnected the phone and try to reconnect again. But it failed to reconnect. I tried a few times even use the S2 reconnected and deleted all users and reconnected.It still didn't work.
Today i delete every user reconnect it without give permission to phonebook access.It connects also displace the telecom company name then i run the bluetooth phonebook app trial.It downloads the contact immediately :lol: .
After the first trial I turn off the car and wait for a few minutes and disable the bluetooth phonebook app, restart the car ,the phone ask for the phonebook access again i uncheck the box the phonebook downloads again.Now it works :
Now i tried the paid version it works flawless :lol:

Thanks for your great work :lol:

Return to “Phone Book Access Protocol”