Dual SIM

craigyb

Re: Dual SIM

Post by craigyb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks for the update, I look forward to it. I'm happy with the S4 Mini DUO for reception and it's good enough for most things and the car's rSAP. I will take the S4 DUO on holidays for the internet and better camera.

ginfizz01

Post by ginfizz01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 pm

So basically you are saying that the app works on a S4 mini Duo. Great.
I just got mine out of the box. I was puzzled because the phone is recognized as having a rSAP capability but the connection fails. Has there been any update since June with this phone?

Best regards,

craigyb

Post by craigyb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

AFAIK the S4 Mini has rSAP, but the S4 DUO Mini does not.

I read on a site that the DUO had rSAP, but alas this is not the case.

ginfizz01

Post by ginfizz01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Thx for the information.
It still feel strange. I use to have a S4 DUO that was not recognized as rSAP capable in my AUDI, now the S4 mini is recognized as capable but won't work. I need to work this out...

ginfizz01

Post by ginfizz01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:29 pm

By the way, Samsung official site states that the S4 mini duo is SAP capable

http://www.samsung.com/latin_en/consume ... WLTPA-spec

"Bluetooth Profiles: PBAP, A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP, OPP, SAP, HID, PAN, MAP"

ginfizz01

Post by ginfizz01 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 pm

New update,

The rSAP connection does work with the AUDI MMI version for the S4 mini Duos.
However the connection is highly unstable as a car phone, even problematic with the handfree mode (I cannot call using the car MMI, have to do it with the phone).

With the handfree mode, I cannot stay connected for more than a minute. Following one of the previous subject with the S4 (not mini), it seems that a phone software update can solve the issue. Will try and keep everyone posted.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

rSAP also seems to depend on the ROM. When I got my S4 Mini Duos I made short tests and remember it worked quite well. Then I messed up the firmware and flashed the Trinidad/Tobago version. Now I could no longer make a proper connection. The second SIM card doesn't "survive" an rSAP connection. Maybe I didn't make proper tests with the initial firmware? Then I flashed the Russian 4.4 firmware and this doesn't include rSAP at all!

My app shows the same behavior.

Conclusion: rSAP does not work very well in the S4 Mini Duos :cry:

ginfizz01

Post by ginfizz01 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Anything I can do to help?
My algerian 4.2 version works but is unstable. Anything you'd like me to try?

* Edit *

I performed more tests today and here are my conclusion.
In order for the car phone to work one needs to disable the data. That is pretty clear now.
Then the connection works until the phonebook is transfered. The connection then fails... Cannot get my phone around this.
I will let you know as soon as I find a way around this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

If the phonebook is the problem, my phonebook app may help. Test with the trial version.

In the meantime I checked the Trinidad/Tobago 4.4.2 version, and it also no longer has built-in rSAP. I don't understand why Samsung does this. rSAP is a specified feature of the S4 Mini Duos!

Currently I have it running with only one SIM card, and that works quite well, although the receiption display shows receiption while rSAP is active :shock:
But of course this is not a reasonable option for a dual SIM phone...
I guess I made my initial tests also with only one SIM card, that's why I remember that it worked.

Android4000s

Post by Android4000s » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Hello to everybody,
I am new to this forum as I just started to test the app on a I9192 today. It is really great to have this app available. I bought the I9192 approx. one year ago as it is able to manage two SIMs and it provided rSAP, which I wanted to use with my Audi MMI 3g+. The phone was delivered with Android 4.2.2. Up to now I’ve used the build in rSAP functionality. Sometimes it took three trials to get it connected with the car. Then only the first SIM was active and the second SIM was disabled. However, incoming calls on the second SIM were forwarded to the first SIM. After getting the rSAP connection activated, it was possible to re-activate the second SIM in parallel again. In this mode the first SIM was handled via the MMI and incoming calls of the second SIM were received by the I9192 - without handsfree of course. When I left the car both SIMs were deactivated although signal was indicated for the first SIM.
This situation was not fully satisfactory. Thus I decided to upgrade immediately to the next Android 4.2 version when this became available in Kies. This took place some months ago. However, this ended in the situation that rSAP didn't work at all. Due to lack of time I decided to use the handsfree Bluetooth connection (without rSAP) instead of solving the issue.
In the last weeks I’ve got additional problems when I used the phone (without the car) with two SIM cards in my home country. It rebooted again and again and was not stable as long as two SIMs were activated. As I do not have deep knowledge I made KNOX and foreign SIM cards responsible (As they are not from Kenia as the phone ;-)) Interestingly, this problem did not occur when I used roaming on both SIMs abroad in Germany.
Today, I decided to invest time in my phone issues again. I realized that Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) is available for I9192. Thus, I used Odin the first time to upgrade my phone. The usage of two SIMs seems to be stable again so far. However, rSAP was not available any more.
Finally, I found the rSAP for Android app. I decided to root the phone and to install it. I tested it in the car and the connection worked fine. I list here the observed effects:
I started the app and both SIM cards were active. Then I activated the car. Both SIMs went offline for a moment and the second SIM stayed offline. SIM1 was detected very fast and used by a rSAP connection. By disconnecting the rSAP connection, the SIM1 was re-activated in the phone. SIM2 stayed offline. De-activating and re-activiating SIM2 in the setting menu didn’t change the situation. Also flight mode didn’t help. Re-booting the phone was the only solution.
Based on my experience with the original rSAP-functionality I gave it another trial.
I started the app again and both SIM cards were active. Then I activated the car. Both SIMs went offline for a moment and the second SIM stayed offline. SIM1 was detected very fast and used by a rSAP connection. I de-activated and re-activated SIM2 in the I9192 setting menu (I use a short-cut to this submenu already). SIM1 stayed connected with the car via rSAP and SIM2 was active in the phone again! I was able to make a call by the I9192 with SIM2 although rSAP was active on SIM1. By disconnecting the rSAP connection, SIM1 and SIM2 went offline for a moment. However, then both SIMs were active and a rebooting was NOT necessary.
I hope this description helps to nail down the moment, where the SIM2 looses network connection without being able to reconnect without reboot.

Return to “Other Samsung Phones”